Skip to main content

Back to School

It's that time of year where I send my boys out to my flower bed to take their pictures.  I don't know why exactly I started there.  It is my favorite spot in my yard when everything is in bloom.  Maybe I was looking for an excuse to pose my boys in front of a girly background but thought I could get away with it since it was only back to school shots.  Whatever the reason, it is now a tradition that MUST continue!  Here is Douglas on the first day of 9th grade.  
Apparently he is too cool to smile.  9th grade is big stuff. 
His schedule is not so fun.  I remember taking Geometry.  I was MUCH better at Algebra.  I hope he doesn't need any help with his homework.  I didn't really love dissecting things either but I bet he enjoys that one. 
Class  Teacher 
 1. ENGLISH 9 HONORS - (040900-01) S. GREEN
 2. TEACHER AIDE - (068956-02) T. DECORA  
 3. RELEASED TIME - (008101-03) S. STAFF  
 4. BIOLOGY 1-2 HONORS - (056271-03) S. DOBIE  
 5. SPANISH 2 - (034200-01) A. MILLER  
 6. GEOMETRY 1-2 - (053200-02) T. REID  
 7. GEOGRAPHY FOR LIFE - HONORS - (070970-01) A. BLACK  
 8. TEEN LIVING - (080500-07) A. RICKS  


The first day of school was kind of a run of the mill, done this a million times sort of thing for Douglas.  Stockton, however, gets a little more excited.  He LOVES school.  He looks forward to it.  He is sad when the summer comes.  And, this year, he is in 5th grade.  5th graders don't take backpacks, they take binders (or as I used to call then, Trapper Keepers:)).  He remembered from observing in years past that his teacher, Mrs. Knowlden, is a big BYU fan so he made sure to plan his first day outfit accordingly!
I was not allowed to walk Stockton to his classroom and take pictures but he was all talk on the drive there.  My favorite quote of the morning, "Well, this is the year I get to learn about how babies are made and get free deodorant after."  WOW!  I didn't realize he has been looking forward to the maturation class.  That is also big stuff!
As for Mason, he gets to be my full-time buddy again now that his brothers are gone plus he has decided he doesn't really need to nap anymore.  What timing!  2 days down, 178 to go:).

Comments

Patti said…
They have a class called "teen-living?" Like kids don't know how to live when they're teens?
Trapper-Keeper. Hahaha. But do you remember PeeChee's? They're kind of orangyish with sports figures on the front and back? And they give you plenty of room for doodling during the boring classes.
I'd look forward to free deodorant too if someone were giving it out.
Jana said…
We were cleaning out the PTA closed last week before school started and found a great big box of the free deodorants that were left over from years past. We decided we would announce to the teachers that we had some if they would like to take a few. We walked down to the office asked them to make the announcement and walked right back to the closet. The entire box was gone before we got back! We did not even see who took it. I guess teachers like free deodorant as much as the kids!!
Kim said…
I love those pictures in that spot. Won't it be great to look back on those in 20 years? I don't even think Noah has any idea about the maturation program. Dang, we have to do that again. When will it end???????????? Arg!
Kimberly said…
Stockton cracks me up! I'll be laughing about that one all day.
Aimee said…
Oh Jenny, I am laughing out loud at Stockton's Maturation comment. Holy smokes! I can't believe he will be old enough to go to the Maturation program. That seems so weird!!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...