Skip to main content

The Everyday

I seem to be in a bit of a blogging slump lately.  I just haven't felt like there has been anything super noteworthy to write about.  Today I realized that perhaps our everyday life would be interesting to someone in the future so noteworthy or not, here goes.


The most exciting thing about today was a trip to Target to purchase this:
I love EVERY song this guy has ever sung.  Me and Keith put in quite a few miles together in the mornings.  I am so excited to listen to this over and over!    In fact, I am listening to it for the first time right now!  Mason just zonked on the couch, I am tapping my toe and sipping on a fountain Diet Coke, also purchased at Target:).  A little over a month ago I purchased Kenny Chesney's new album (CD?).  I really don't think it is fair that they both put one out within months of each other and then I have to wait years for something new.  I love Kenny but Keith is my favorite.

When I am not buying Cd's at Target I am home with an almost 2 1/2-year-old.  Most days are okay but there are a few that just about do me in.  For instance, last week he decided to feed the dog just after I got the kitchen floor mopped and the rugs vacuumed.  Only, after he over-filled the bowl he rolled tiny dog food pellets all over the floor, kind of like a game of marbles.
It must have been fun to watch them roll.  I know, you are asking yourself how I didn't have a clue that he was making a mess.  I have wondered that myself but in the 5 minutes, literally, it took me to vacuum the front room the damage was done.   The colder weather is keeping us cooped up more and it is going to be a LONG winter.  Still, I love that baby boy of mine.  I am eternally grateful for him, even in all his two-ness.

I am playing the piano for our ward choir on Sunday.  It makes me nervous every time.  I am not a good pianist but I am willing to help out when needed.  It is a pretty arrangement of Lord, I Would Follow Thee but I have had to actually sit down and practice.  There is a little piano solo with 3 flats that is making me super nervous but I will play it A LOT the next few days and hopefully I won't be shaking so bad on Sunday that I can't move my hands.  I like to sing with the choir, not play for them but our poor unofficial pianist would really like to sing too.  I thought I would give her a break.  It is nice to have a reason to sit down and play.  I don't do it very often.

My newest renewed hobby is bargain grocery shopping.  I am addicted to www.hip2save.com where I get the lowdown on all of the high value coupons and other great saves.  I made my first City Deals purchase.  I got 2 $20 giftcards to Chuck E. Cheese for $7 each.  For $14 my family had pizza, drinks and tokens coming out our ears.  I hate dumping money at that place but $14 was very non-stressful to me.
Yesterday I went to Walgreens and spent $12.37.  Not bad for 3 boxes of Puffs, shaving cream, Enfusium shampoo, petroleum jelly, a gallon of milk, and 4 bags of Pretzel M & M's.
Last night I went to Smith's and spent $13.65.  I got 4 boxes of instant oatmeal, 2 boxes of pasta, 4 Propels, 4 cans of Pringles, 2 tubes of toothpaste, 2 deodorants, 2 boxes of cookie mix, bananas, apples, sour cream and Tic Tacs.  Woo Hoo!  I couldn't help but come home, spread it out on the counter and take a picture.
I have averaged $700 a month on groceries this year.  That keeps my food storage stocked and buys lowfat dairy products and healthy meats.  I rarely buy hamburger.  Instead, 99% fat free turkey burger at $4.99 lb.  The past few months I have kept it to $600 and this month my goal is $500.  I am on track to make it!  It takes a little time but I enjoy planning out my shopping trips for maximum savings:).


Okay, so I thought of something big that could have been a post all it's own but it will have to get lost in this really long post.  Nonetheless, it will be documented.  We had clanging pipes that caught us by surprise one morning.  It started with a flushing toilet.  Next was water pouring into my bath and then it soon encompassed the entire house.  Everytime water ran, the pipes banged.  We would describe it as a steam engine sound.  It was LOUD.  Russell never really embraced the title of handyman but he was determined to fix the plumbing.  After much research (the internet is amazing!) and a phone call to his cousin the plumber, he replaced our pressure reducing valve.  The part alone was $68.  I can only imagine what we would have paid someone to come out.  It really was one of his shining moments.  I was proud of him, he was proud of himself and a week later everything is holding just fine!  It was a job well done:).

Douglas made the Jr. High basketball team this year.  It took him 3 years of trying but I applaud him for not giving up.  Basketball team...good.  Leaving the house at 6:10 each morning...not so good.  We have made him set up shop in the basement bathroom hoping he won't wake Mason at 5:40 each morning.  The week his friend drives it works okay but the week Russell drives the garage door directly under Mason's bedroom wakes him every time.  Needless to say, whether Mason is up or not our morning sleep has been interrupted and I am tired most of the time.  Maybe the early evening darkness has something to do with that too.  And, my electric blanket is not working.  It is one of those really expensive ones with dual settings.  I can't bring myself to buy a new one:(.  (Still tapping my toe, this is a great CD!)

Speaking of Douglas, there is a baseball moratorium right now but that just means "unofficial" conditioning on high school B days.  Every other day I commute him from the jr. high to the high school and back.  Luckily, I have one other friend that I carpool with which helps a lot!  I wish they would move the 9th graders to high school since their grades and sports count.  I am sure there is a good reason why they don't do this but I have yet to figure it out.  I will enjoy this down time until December 26th when moratorium is lifted and it is back to every day.  Right now we are spending $350-$400 a month on gas.  OUCH!

Stockton practices baseball two nights a week and soon he will add another weeknight with Jr. Jazz practice. It is rare that we are all home at the same time.

Our Cowboys stink this year.  It has been painful to watch them but Thanksgiving is still on.  I was afraid we might have to cancel but I guess we will watch:).  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them.  Biggest Loser is always inspiring but there are a few too many whiners and game players for me this season.  I am not quite sure who I am routing for but it is not Elizabeth, Frado or Brendan!

The new Harry Potter comes out on Friday.  I don't have plans to see it this weekend but we will see it in the "expensive" theatre soon.  Mason won't be able to come since I know it will be too intense for him but we will figure out a way to get there.  We haven't been to a "full price" theatre since July 30th when we took our nephews to see Despicable Me while their little sister was being born.  You gotta love Redbox!

How's that for a bunch of random things all compiled into one post?  It brings us up to date and gets the blogging juices flowing again.  Maybe it won't take me 2 1/2 weeks to write again.

Comments

wylie said…
I love the random =) Mason getting woken up that early is awful to hear. I could burn you a CD of some "white noise"; soothing air conditioner noise that you could play in a CD player or with the Ipod and speakers that might cover up the garage when it opens at 6:10 am. I have tried it when I think I will die of sleep depravation if the kids wake up too early--it works! Then if you like it, you could buy it on-line so we aren't pirating =)
ls said…
i like posts like this. your life sounds so full, but also so meaningful.

you will laugh when i tell you that my grocery budget this month is $200. and that is being generous! when we are REALLY trying to save money i can make it happen on $30 a week. most of that $30 goes to fresh produce and then i just cook with whatever grains (rice, beans, lentils, quinoa) that i have.

have you thought of putting a space heater or fan in mason's room for background noise? that is the only way pearl can nap without being woken up by her loud big brother!
Patti said…
I saw the Target commercial for Keith's cd yesterday and instantly thought of you. Nice to konw my thoughts were not in vain.
I laughed out loud when I saw your pictures of the stuff you bought. Then I told Bud that I loved Jenny. I'm sure he wondered why I said that, but he didn't ask.
And-I'm so excited for lunch today!!! See you soon!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Family Pictures

These are the photos that lovingly adorn my entry way welcoming the world to our home. Stockton was 3, Douglas was 7 and Russell and I were somewhat younger than we are now. For pretty obvious reasons it was time to get a new picture on the wall.  I REALLY hate the whole process of family stress  pictures.  Everyone needs recent haircuts, clothes need to be clean and somewhat matching.  A location needs to be chosen, a poor sucker has to accompany us to snap the shots, no runny noses or cold sores can be present, Mason must be happy, Stockton must be agreeable and Douglas and Russell must be supportive.  So, over the weekend I forced my family to humor me and get this HUGE feat over with.  I am pretty happy with the results. Of course, for every good shot there are about 10 not so good ones!  You try and make a toddler hold still and smile nice!  My nephew, Jordan, asked his mom why I got to be in charge.  I told him i...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...