15 years ago on December 6th I held my firstborn.
There is something about that firstborn child that can't be described. He was the first to be completely dependent on me, the first to call me mom, the first to take claim of my mommy heart. Words really can't describe the feelings of joy and love I have for this special boy. Heavenly Father sent me one of the finest spirits he had and of that I am grateful.
The night before his birthday Douglas campaigned hard to open his presents early due to a 6:30 am basketball practice. I told him they would still be here for him later on in the day. He went to bed frustrated but got over it. I share this experience to show that Douglas does have a bit of teenager-ness in him even though it is rarely mentioned or seen. For the most part he is level headed, easy going and obedient. He is a great guinea pig for my not so great parenting skills!
Douglas allowed me to deliver lunch to the Jr. High. He met me in the parking lot. The requested meal...a Subway footlong-oven baked chicken on honey oat bread with pepper jack cheese, mayo, chapolte sauce, lettuce, olives, green peppers and pepper, toasted...to be accompanied by chips (I got to surprise him on this one) and Powerade. "Oh, and mom, can you bring me a pack of gum. I ate my last piece this morning." It is so great to communicate with your kids at school via text! I love it. Shortly after taking him lunch we all met up at his basketball game.
I had to take these pictures incognito. Can you imagine the embarrassment of your mom on the sidelines snapping shots? Since I don't have a good lens my pictures blurred when I zoomed in but this is as good as it gets from across the gym.
Douglas hasn't gotten a lot of playing time. There are 25 kids on the team. It looks a little more like a football huddle when they take a time out but when he gets in he does a great job.
Yes, I snuck this picture too! Her name is Sam.
She is cute and she is nice but she is a girl. Up until now, Douglas was a little shy around the girls (at least that is what he had me and his dad fooled into believing)! Now he wants to "hang out" with them. This is causing me a little bit of turmoil. It's just another sign that my sweet little boy is growing up.
Another "growing up" thing that comes with this 15-yr-old birthday, a learners permit. Douglas hasn't had a chance to go to the DMV to take his test but you can bet he is going to be pestering me about this until it happens. He insists he doesn't need to study. He took a practice test on Sunday and only missed one question so he feels pretty confident in his driving skills. We will see how that whole thing goes but I really can't believe I get to spend the next year teaching him how to drive.
After the game we came home and grabbed a free for all dinner before heading out for baseball practice. Douglas at the High School and Stockton at the Horn's warehouse...opposite directions from each other. Russell went with Douglas and I picked up shakes from In N Out Burger on my way home. Tonight we dined at Johnny Carinos on Italian Nachos and Bowtie Festival family style. Rather than a cake Douglas chose 7 layer bars.
Happy Birthday to one great young man!
There is something about that firstborn child that can't be described. He was the first to be completely dependent on me, the first to call me mom, the first to take claim of my mommy heart. Words really can't describe the feelings of joy and love I have for this special boy. Heavenly Father sent me one of the finest spirits he had and of that I am grateful.
The night before his birthday Douglas campaigned hard to open his presents early due to a 6:30 am basketball practice. I told him they would still be here for him later on in the day. He went to bed frustrated but got over it. I share this experience to show that Douglas does have a bit of teenager-ness in him even though it is rarely mentioned or seen. For the most part he is level headed, easy going and obedient. He is a great guinea pig for my not so great parenting skills!
Douglas allowed me to deliver lunch to the Jr. High. He met me in the parking lot. The requested meal...a Subway footlong-oven baked chicken on honey oat bread with pepper jack cheese, mayo, chapolte sauce, lettuce, olives, green peppers and pepper, toasted...to be accompanied by chips (I got to surprise him on this one) and Powerade. "Oh, and mom, can you bring me a pack of gum. I ate my last piece this morning." It is so great to communicate with your kids at school via text! I love it. Shortly after taking him lunch we all met up at his basketball game.
I had to take these pictures incognito. Can you imagine the embarrassment of your mom on the sidelines snapping shots? Since I don't have a good lens my pictures blurred when I zoomed in but this is as good as it gets from across the gym.
| Warm Ups |
| His spot for the game. |
| Checking in. |
| Dribbling the ball. |
| Playing defense. |
Yes, I snuck this picture too! Her name is Sam.
| The one on the end, the flirtatious winking one! |
Another "growing up" thing that comes with this 15-yr-old birthday, a learners permit. Douglas hasn't had a chance to go to the DMV to take his test but you can bet he is going to be pestering me about this until it happens. He insists he doesn't need to study. He took a practice test on Sunday and only missed one question so he feels pretty confident in his driving skills. We will see how that whole thing goes but I really can't believe I get to spend the next year teaching him how to drive.
After the game we came home and grabbed a free for all dinner before heading out for baseball practice. Douglas at the High School and Stockton at the Horn's warehouse...opposite directions from each other. Russell went with Douglas and I picked up shakes from In N Out Burger on my way home. Tonight we dined at Johnny Carinos on Italian Nachos and Bowtie Festival family style. Rather than a cake Douglas chose 7 layer bars.
Happy Birthday to one great young man!

Comments