WARNING: This post is full of potty language so if that is offensive to you, please don't read:).
I started potty training Mason on April 1st. It wasn't the best day but what day is? An hour into the process Mason had peed on the floor three times (thank goodness for wood)! I wondered if I was really committed enough to see this process through. Later on, Russell had a little guy party to kick off the MLB baseball season so we had a few uncles and cousins around which made for some definite distractions. Mason was agitated and bothered that I kept taking him to the bathroom. He would get angry with me and just when I left him alone for 10 minutes he would pee. Sigh. I knew this was going to be horrible. That night Stockton had a game so I gave myself a bit of a break and armed Mace with a Pull-Up! Much to my joy he decided to do his dirty deed in there and I didn't have to deal with a mess. I was okay with that tiny little cop-out. It worked for me but I knew I had to give it my all the next day.
The next day was a Saturday. We were all home, with nothing to do. Mason did swimmingly! He even told us a few times when he had to go. Not bad:). We even worked in the yard and Mason played outside. It was just as I was bringing him in to go that he peed on the front porch. Ok, I can handle that. We were super brave and took him to Five Guys with the family. It was there that he did his first toilet poop! WHEW! That is a big one (overcoming the obstacle, not the actual poop:)). Two days in and we got him to poop in the potty. I was so happy! He finished off the rest of the day accident free.
Sunday he was a little pro. Day three and he had this thing figured out. He was about half and half telling us when he needed to go but stayed dry all day until...we went to my parents for dinner. He had told us several times he needed to poop but when he was sitting there he just didn't want to make it happen. We were on HIGH alert. He was downstairs playing with cousins when we heard a panicked scream, "MY POOP'S COMING OUT!" I grabbed him and rushed to the bathroom which happened to be occupied at the time. I believe I yelled something like, "GET OUT OF THAT BATHROOM NOW!" Luckily, it was Douglas. He was pretty understanding. By then it was a little too late. I got him cleaned up and to my surprise he peed his pants 10 minutes later. I guess the trauma of the whole thing was just too much for him.
The next day I bribed him to go to McDonalds if he would poop in the potty. Within 15 minutes of making the offer we were in the car and on our way. That was it. He was trained!
I have been waiting day after day to see what happens. We have made it all the way through church, attended several baseball games, shopped and gone to a movie. He has been great through it all! He tells us when he needs to go and I am happy to say we are no longer panicked! Day 15 and I think I can say, "Mason is potty trained!" What a great feeling. I know we will have a few bumps here and there but I do believe we are through the worst of it. I am SO glad I don't have to do that again. It's one of those little mommy victories. No more diapers, ever:).
I started potty training Mason on April 1st. It wasn't the best day but what day is? An hour into the process Mason had peed on the floor three times (thank goodness for wood)! I wondered if I was really committed enough to see this process through. Later on, Russell had a little guy party to kick off the MLB baseball season so we had a few uncles and cousins around which made for some definite distractions. Mason was agitated and bothered that I kept taking him to the bathroom. He would get angry with me and just when I left him alone for 10 minutes he would pee. Sigh. I knew this was going to be horrible. That night Stockton had a game so I gave myself a bit of a break and armed Mace with a Pull-Up! Much to my joy he decided to do his dirty deed in there and I didn't have to deal with a mess. I was okay with that tiny little cop-out. It worked for me but I knew I had to give it my all the next day.
The next day was a Saturday. We were all home, with nothing to do. Mason did swimmingly! He even told us a few times when he had to go. Not bad:). We even worked in the yard and Mason played outside. It was just as I was bringing him in to go that he peed on the front porch. Ok, I can handle that. We were super brave and took him to Five Guys with the family. It was there that he did his first toilet poop! WHEW! That is a big one (overcoming the obstacle, not the actual poop:)). Two days in and we got him to poop in the potty. I was so happy! He finished off the rest of the day accident free.
Sunday he was a little pro. Day three and he had this thing figured out. He was about half and half telling us when he needed to go but stayed dry all day until...we went to my parents for dinner. He had told us several times he needed to poop but when he was sitting there he just didn't want to make it happen. We were on HIGH alert. He was downstairs playing with cousins when we heard a panicked scream, "MY POOP'S COMING OUT!" I grabbed him and rushed to the bathroom which happened to be occupied at the time. I believe I yelled something like, "GET OUT OF THAT BATHROOM NOW!" Luckily, it was Douglas. He was pretty understanding. By then it was a little too late. I got him cleaned up and to my surprise he peed his pants 10 minutes later. I guess the trauma of the whole thing was just too much for him.
The next day I bribed him to go to McDonalds if he would poop in the potty. Within 15 minutes of making the offer we were in the car and on our way. That was it. He was trained!
I have been waiting day after day to see what happens. We have made it all the way through church, attended several baseball games, shopped and gone to a movie. He has been great through it all! He tells us when he needs to go and I am happy to say we are no longer panicked! Day 15 and I think I can say, "Mason is potty trained!" What a great feeling. I know we will have a few bumps here and there but I do believe we are through the worst of it. I am SO glad I don't have to do that again. It's one of those little mommy victories. No more diapers, ever:).

Comments
Next stop: Preschool.
I'm not as excited for that one, sniff, sniff...