Just a day before we left for a super fun trip to Disneyland, Douglas took a ball to the face while warming up for his game.
He was very brave while they stitched him up. He didn't even need to be restrained! This kid has come a long way from the days of running from the room and ducking under a chair for his flu shot! I am not even exaggerating!
A few days later he was left with quite a shiner. And, he had it for his whole California trip.
That's how our Spring Break trip started. Near the end of the trip (which was really 2 trips rolled into one but that will have to wait for the next post) we were enjoying a beautiful sunshiny Championship baseball day in Las Vegas...
when Mason's playground luck ran out. He fell from the monkey bars. I was standing with my back to the playground as I watched Stockton's game. I heard Mason crying and saw him running to me holding a floppy wrist. I pretty much knew what that meant!
We had a hard time finding somewhere we could go in Las Vegas that wouldn't be out of network and break the bank. We ended up at a clinic that x-rayed and confirmed the brake.
But, they didn't want to take care of it there so they sent us to the ER, the very thing we were trying to avoid.
They gave him a nice little temporary cast until the swelling was gone and we could get to a Dr. at home. Mason was a brave little trooper! The hardest part for him was flipping his wrist over for the x-ray.
About 7 hours had elapsed since we had last eaten so we were famished, to say the least. We ended up at Olive Garden and enjoyed every bite! Without really thinking about it, Mason picked up his fork with his right hand and fed himself. I was wondering how my little lefty would adapt but he has done well.
He told me he was going to pick the color "golden" for his cast but since our Dr. didn't have that he settled for orange. They ended up casting above his elbow so he couldn't flip his wrist over. He also gets to wear it for 5-6 weeks instead of the standard 2-3. May 18th is the big day, just before the pool opens and just before we play baseball in Vegas again.
Yep, that's a Happy Meal you see there. Now I'm feeling kind of bad that I didn't stop and get Douglas one when he was so brave! And, what does mom get for being so brave?...all the Dr. bills. That hardly seems fair!
He was very brave while they stitched him up. He didn't even need to be restrained! This kid has come a long way from the days of running from the room and ducking under a chair for his flu shot! I am not even exaggerating!
A few days later he was left with quite a shiner. And, he had it for his whole California trip.
That's how our Spring Break trip started. Near the end of the trip (which was really 2 trips rolled into one but that will have to wait for the next post) we were enjoying a beautiful sunshiny Championship baseball day in Las Vegas...
when Mason's playground luck ran out. He fell from the monkey bars. I was standing with my back to the playground as I watched Stockton's game. I heard Mason crying and saw him running to me holding a floppy wrist. I pretty much knew what that meant!
We had a hard time finding somewhere we could go in Las Vegas that wouldn't be out of network and break the bank. We ended up at a clinic that x-rayed and confirmed the brake.
| Left distal radius fracture 15% angle |
But, they didn't want to take care of it there so they sent us to the ER, the very thing we were trying to avoid.
They gave him a nice little temporary cast until the swelling was gone and we could get to a Dr. at home. Mason was a brave little trooper! The hardest part for him was flipping his wrist over for the x-ray.
About 7 hours had elapsed since we had last eaten so we were famished, to say the least. We ended up at Olive Garden and enjoyed every bite! Without really thinking about it, Mason picked up his fork with his right hand and fed himself. I was wondering how my little lefty would adapt but he has done well.
He told me he was going to pick the color "golden" for his cast but since our Dr. didn't have that he settled for orange. They ended up casting above his elbow so he couldn't flip his wrist over. He also gets to wear it for 5-6 weeks instead of the standard 2-3. May 18th is the big day, just before the pool opens and just before we play baseball in Vegas again.
Yep, that's a Happy Meal you see there. Now I'm feeling kind of bad that I didn't stop and get Douglas one when he was so brave! And, what does mom get for being so brave?...all the Dr. bills. That hardly seems fair!
Comments