Skip to main content

Covid Hits

We have spent the last 6 months doing everything we can to avoid Covid hitting our family.  We wear masks every time we go into public, even if others aren't.  We wash our hands and use sanitizer. We have been really careful.  We decided Sunday dinner at Grandma and Grandpa Sproul's needed to be every other week and no one comes if they are sick at all.  What else could we do?

On September 13th, we had a lovely dinner at my parents.  Well, it is not my favorite meal but the guys really like it.  The girls enjoyed visiting inside while the boys sat outside eating crawfish and shrimp.  My dad pulled off his annual boil.

That's the event that put us in the history books.  We received a group text from my dad the following Tuesday evening and I quote:

FYI:  I woke up Monday morning shaking like a dog trying to pass a peach pit.  I was coughing like crazy and I didn't get back to sleep because I knew I had just given my family COVID.  So yesterday I got tested and was negative.  It's just a crappy bug.  I am so sorry if you get sick because of me.

We were all a little relieved but sad that my dad felt so lousy.  And then mom got sick. We got another group text on Saturday afternoon:

Hi Family, FYI, Mom has had an on and off fever this past week and I assumed  it was because she caught my bug.  This morning just to be sure she had a Covid test and it is positive.  She starts her quarantine today.  I will have another test soon.

Craziness!!  Covid was in our family.  We went about our Saturday, mowing the lawn and cleaning the basement for Stockton to come home.  My sister, Kelly, called to see if they could come over and show us their new puppy.  Of course I said, yes!  


We decided to get some dinner together so we grabbed some Chick-fil-A and had a parking lot picnic since their lobby is still closed due to Covid restrictions.


Sunday morning, Russell had to get a Covid test for an upcoming scheduled colonoscopy.  He got there first thing and was back in no time.  We were supposed to pick up Evelyn (his 87 year-old mom) and bring her to our house for dinner but Russell just wasn't feeling good about it.  With a positive test from my mom and his own pending test, we made arrangements for someone else to feed her.  I am SO glad we did.  The next morning, Monday September 21st, Russell was confirmed positive with Covid 19.  We were shocked!  But, kind of not.  He had not experienced any symptoms that would have made him go get tested but looking back he remembered a bad night's sleep and eye pressure for a few days leading up to this.  Luckily, so far his case was very mild.  I called Kelly and she left work immediately since she is a teacher and we are all trying so hard to keep schools safe so in-person learning can continue.  I also pulled Mason out of school after attending his first two classes for the very same reason.  We were officially quarantined!

Mason and I decided we needed to get tested.  There are a few ways to test for Covid.  You can spit in a cup and test your saliva but the lines are super long because that is the less frightening was to do it.  Then there is the good old swab!  Mason was nervous but I decided to go for the swab.  Luckily, Russell had done it the day before and was able to prepare us for the experience.  He said it was easier or the same as getting a flu shot.  Well, we just did that so no problem!  Mason went first.  There is a super long flexible swab stick that goes through your nose, down to your throat and they twist it back and forth for 10 seconds before they pull it out.  You can feel the swab flipping around in your throat.  It's kind of creepy.  Mason was a champ!  He gave me courage.







I have to admit, my eyes were watering once she pulled it out.  It really didn't hurt, but it tickled/irritated my throat enough that I felt like I needed to cough.  
Getting tested was strangely satisfying.  For months, millions of people around the world have been tested and I was glad I got to have the full experience.  Douglas, Daisha and Amelia all opted for spit tests that day.  Then we all waited.

They tell you the results will be back in 24-48 hours.  Amelia found out she was negative on Tuesday evening.  It took until Wednesday morning for the rest of us to get our results.  Douglas and Daisha were positive.  Russell actually logged in and got our results before I woke up.  I was positive and Mason was negative.  The list of Covid-19 symptoms is very long but one of the most unique symptoms is a decrease or a loss of taste and smell.  I started tasting metal about the same time Russell was having eye pressure.  I could still taste my food but I had that along with it.  I also was experiencing neck pain that made it hard to turn from side to side but it was something I wasn't using medication to relieve.  We didn't have the bad cough, fever, aches, difficulty breathing, chest pain, sore throat and congestion that was associated with the virus.  We really were amazed and so grateful we were feeling well.  In fact, we felt well enough that we never quit exercising.

My sister Kelly tested positive as well as my brother, Dallas.  Their families all ended up being negative.  Quarantine starts from the day of your first symptom if you test positive so Monday the 21st was actually day 5!  That's why we wear masks in public, just in case you are walking around with the virus and have no idea.  Kind of like us!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...