Skip to main content

Sore Shoulder, Broken Heart

As the World Series gets closer and closer there is such an excitement in our family we can hardly stand it. Just the other day I was SO excited and almost sat down to Facebook to declare to the world that there were only 10 days left until the big day and I could not wait. I decided to spare everyone my overzealous baseball enthusiasm. I still think about the World Series all of the time but now in a little different way.

August 12th will remain a day that Douglas will forever want to forget but most likely never will. He slept in a nice part of the morning, mowed the lawn and then headed out the door for a last chance trip to Raging Waters. He has had a season pass and with school and the World Series approaching it was his final hurrah of the year.

An hour after he left I received a phone call from his cell phone. I had asked him to check in periodically throughout the day and was surprised that he was calling so soon. A female voice on the other end informed me that she had Douglas in her first aid office and believed him to have a broken collar bone. Tears instantly filled my eyes as I told her I would be right there. "It couldn't be," I thought. "He is playing in the World Series in 10 days." Although the news could have been worse, it was a blow to say the least. I cried and prayed all the way there. "Please Heavenly Father, he has worked so hard. Please let it be something we can fix." I was hoping for a dislocated shoulder or a very bad bruise. Anything but a brake! When I first saw him the devastation on his face was heart breaking. He knew it was serious.

I took him to a medical clinic to confirm that he had indeed broken his collar bone and they advised me to immediately go to the ER where they would most likely perform surgery that evening. Thanks to a quick thinking and very wise friend in a moment of foggy mindedness on my part she told me to get a second opinion before I went scurrying to the ER. Our sweet bishop was able to recommend someone with whom he has trusted family members with and got us an appointment the next morning.

Douglas had a long night where he felt he would wake any minute from his dream and realize that he was still whole. It broke my heart to hear him say that. I remember times in my life where that hazy, heavy, this-is-just-a-dream feeling takes over and it is so hard to feel like there will ever be happiness again. It is heart wrenching to watch your child go through that and I felt the same feelings right along with him.

Dr. Walters was wonderful. He was optimistic the bone would heal well and there would be no complications there. What he was not so sure about was the 4-6 inch sag his left shoulder had below his right. He has never seen such a thing. There is such a crookedness to Douglas' posture right now and that might fix while the bone healed but it most likely wouldn't. The plan: surgery to pull the bone back together fastened with a plate and some screws. Pros: we know it is fixed and there should be no long term affects from the break, Douglas is on a quick road to recovery. Cons: general anesthesia, incision and scar, a plate that will most likely bug him in the future and need to be removed, a nerve that could be damaged during the drilling process. I really hate the list of cons but they always have to give you the worst case scenario. We all agreed that surgery would be the best choice. That will take place on Monday.

The mood around our house has been a somber one. It seems whenever we talk to someone about it or discuss it as a family all of us get a little teary. Douglas has been a real trooper. He has attended practices, Court of Honors, & presidency meetings. I am pleased with the way he is handling this trial. He received a priesthood blessing and we all know that for some reason, he is supposed to be going through this at this time during the most important and looked forward to event of his life thus far. It would be so easy to say it is not fair, why do bad things happen to such a great kid, God must hate him. But, we know that is far from the truth. Heavenly Father has a plan for this fine young man. He knows him and his struggles at this time and I know he will be blessed. His shoulder will heal, time will heal his broken heart (and ours) and he will emerge a stronger person. Of this I am certain!


Comments

Melanie said…
Douglas face says it all. I'm so sorry your family is going through this. By Douglas continuing on proves what a great young man he is and what wonderful parents he has been given.
ls said…
oh! i am SO exceedingly bummed for you guys. i got on your blog a few days ago and read all about the world series and immediately knew i wanted to come watch douglas play. i love baseball and it would be so fun to come cheer him on. so today i was coming back here to leave a comment to get more details so i could make sure to make it to some of his games (i told my mom and she was even thinking it sounded like fun to come watch), and then i get here and read about this sad accident! oh, i really feel so, so sad for all of you guys! i am sure douglas will learn some good lessons from this, and it sounds like you guys are all handling it beautifully. if you are still going to the games (which i am sure you are), let me know when and where they are and maybe we can still come watch. it won't be quite the same since we won't have douglas to cheer on, but it would still be fun. get feeling better soon, douglas!
Kim said…
I am so sorry that Douglas will miss out playing in the World Series. He can still enjoy the excitement of it all. It sounds like he has a good attitude. Good luck with the surgery. We will be praying for Douglas and the doctors.
Patti said…
My heart breaks for all of you. Please let the surgeon be "on his game" when he operates on your sweet #1 son.
Mama Janet said…
Ouch! that is a real bummer!
wylie said…
I'm so so sorry and we are all thinking about you today and praying for Douglas' surgery that it will go beautifully and perfectly.
Kimberly said…
We have been sad and disappointed right along with you.

Get well soon!
Aimee said…
Poor Doug! Sometimes it's hard to know if our children's trials are for them, us, or both. We definitely learn from them, though. Hang in there, Orchards!
Terry said…
I am so sorry! I cried just reading this. It is so hard to see your kids go through pain like this. I hope he gets completely better! Next year! What a great kid!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...