Skip to main content

Cold, Soggy and Postponed

Douglas had 8 games last week.  Normally, I would say that was about the funnest thing I could think of to do but the weather was so mean and nasty that I was very frustrated.  Tuesday night we endured hurricane winds from the south.  It wasn't cold but the dirt in my eyes, hair in my mouth and ringing in my ears made it slightly annoying to sit through the game.  Russell stayed and finished up while I took Mason home before he blew away.

Wednesday night was cold.  There were no winds this time but the temps were in the low 40's.  Again, not my ideal game watching weather!

Thursday was the first day of a tournament.  That morning my sister and I went to visit my grandma in the VA nursing home up by the U.  When we left it was raining with the occasional snow flurry.  When we came home we drove through a blizzard.  No one would believe me if you weren't there to see it but we were going 30 mph on the belt route.  I couldn't see the lines on the road and it was truly a white-knuckle experience.  I was certain our 8:15 pm game in Ogden that night would be cancelled but I was wrong.  I stayed back with the boys while Russell and Douglas endured temps in the 30's.  It was late and cold!

Friday we played at 2:15 and 6:45, in Ogden.  In anticipation of the cold weekend we broke down and did something we should have done 5 years ago when we started this whole competition baseball thing!  We bought a heater!

We are not the camping type so we have never had anything like it but it saved our little fanny's this weekend.  I am SO glad we had it!  I wore a long sleeved shirt, sweatshirt and jacket.  Russell wore his Long John's.  We spent a good portion of the day dry but as we were breaking for dinner it poured.  I managed to get a little wet getting in and out of the car and that left me chilled for the evening.  Our second game was played in intermittent sprinkle storms.  Once again, ANNOYING!  But, I did LOVE my new heater.

Saturday was special.  Horray for championship day!  It is always so fun.  But, my nephew Wilson was baptized at noon so we decided to miss the first game and support him.  Douglas gave a talk on baptism and told Wilson that there was nothing he would rather be doing than watching his cousin get baptized.  I cried some happy-mom tears.  The spirit was there and I was so glad that my baseball lovin' teenager knew where he needed to be and didn't even question it.  After the baptism the extended family went to Hires for lunch and then it was off to Odgen again.  Douglas' team won that first game and we had at least one more to go, hopefully two!

We sailed through our second game and made it to the championship.  It didn't start until after 7:30.  It was dark... there was rain...there was sleet... there was hail.  We were up 9-4 after 4 innings when it really began to pour.

The boys took a rain delay in the dugout while the officials decided what to do.  After all we had sat through and endured over the course of the week we got postponed.  REALLY?  It was decided that we would try to get together this week to finish the last 3 innings, here in Salt Lake at least.  What a let down.  The field was puddling up but I was tucked in and mostly dry.  Mason was happily watching Monsters, Inc.  Russell's back was a bit sore from bending down since his chair had been soaked earlier.  And just in case you were wondering, Stockton was playing wiffle ball on the field behind us.  He was soaked!  It really was the right thing to do, calling the game,  but it was a lousy ending to a pretty yucky weather week.  And, what is really getting to me now is the fact that we have another really fun week of baseball ahead of us with another really bad forecast.  It is May, already!   April showers.....May flowers, warm baseball, swimming pool.  Something's got to give and it's not going to be me!  I've got my Mr. Heater Buddy and my umbrella but I would rather it be the sun:).

Comments

wylie said…
What a crazy week of weather! I had never heard of heaters like that . . . but I agree, you should have got one years ago =)
Sherrie said…
The weather here has been crazy too. We haven't been able to do any of the activities we had hoped. I was hoping it would start feeling like spring again soon... but the forecast still has this yucky weather scheduled for at least another week. Hoping your weather improves so you can enjoy those games more. Good idea about the heater!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...