Skip to main content

A Perfect Day

Sunday morning I was tired and grumpy and not really in the mood to go to church.  I say that but I really NEVER would think about missing.  I just wish my toddler alarm didn't ring at 6:00 am and I don't think Heavenly Father would forgive me for missing because I am too tired from a baseball tournament.  And, it was Fast Sunday.  Needless to say I got my bad-attitude little self to church and gave it a fair effort to feel the spirit and receive the refreshment that I so desperately needed.  Our Relief Society lesson was about remembering the hand of God in our lives and looking for those tender moments that have sustained us and strengthened us.  It was beautifully presented and the spirit was present.  I left that meeting SO thankful I had been there and my frown had been turned upside down.  I was rejuvenated.

Monday morning we awoke at 6:00am, again, and left the house at 7 packed for a full day of baseball.  The game was at 9, the warm-ups started at 8 and the drive to Spanish Fork was an hour.  It was the 3rd time in 4 days we had driven down there and back with a full day of baseball in between.  I was hopeful that the boys would play well but I wasn't confident we could beat Spanish Fork to take the whole thing.  We lost to them twice over the 4th of July weekend and had most recently lost to them on Friday in our first game of pool play.  We were not at all surprised when we ended up facing them in the championship game.

I know this is shaping up to be just another baseball story but I have to say it is SO much more.  I need to tell you a little bit about my freckly-cute middle child before I can continue.  Stockton is extreme.  He is extremely kind and loving.  He is extremely sweet and sensitive.  He is extremely talented and smart.  Yet, he sometimes can be extremely frustrating.  He gives up quickly if something seems too hard.  He often spends more time complaining about doing something than actually doing it.  He recently admitted to aspiring to be a stay-home-dad just so he doesn't have to get a job.  "Besides, what does mom really do all day anyway?  She gives us all of the hard chores."  Stockton is an amazing ball player.  His coach likes him on short stop because he is so good at it.  But with that position comes great responsibility.  He needs to talk to his players, let them know where the play is, how many outs there are, keep the pitcher positive.  His coach has spent a year trying to get him to be the leader of the team.  Stockton has tried and at times done a good job but it is something he is still working on.  It doesn't come naturally but it is good for him.
So, there I sat...a crisp but absolutely beautiful sunny day, mountain views and my family close by.  It was Russell's birthday and I had tender feelings in my heart for him.  I love him so much.  I appreciate how hard he works to take care of us.  I love the father he is, the example he is, the Priesthood holder he is.  He is unselfish and kind and patient.  I was grateful he was helping to coach.  His boys will never forget the interest their dad takes in them.
I was remembering the blessings in my life and the love I feel from my Heavenly Father for the family he has given me and the things we are able to do together.  Win or lose I was already really enjoying my day...and it just kept getting better.

It started with 100% uninhibited effort.  Stockton was playing 3rd and dove to stop a ball.  By the time he got up and made the throw he was seconds short of making the out, but he couldn't have done any more.  It snow-balled from there.  He pulled off a double play, he hit the ball, he talked to his teammates and encouraged his pitcher.  He followed his coaches' commands exactly.  He played the best game of baseball I have ever seen him play...and it was contagious.  His teammates hit the ball, encouraged each other, followed their coaches and held their rivals scoreless.  5-0 was the final.  It was hands down the best game of baseball I have ever watched in my life!  It was so rewarding to watch Stockton's effort, his attitude and his lead-by-example approach.  He was such a champion that day and it was even more special that he got to do it on his dad's birthday. (What a day to forget the camera!  The dark, shadowy cell phone shots will have to do!)
We went to Chilis to celebrate Russell.  Mason was good, the older boys were good and the food was delicious.  Then we went and saw Karate Kid.  What a great show that is.  Russell and I decided that Stockton had been our Karate Kid that day.  It was such a great way to end a perfect day.  I was still flying high on Tuesday morning when real life began again.  I went out and ran 5 miles-pushing Mason in the jogging stroller the entire way.  It felt great.  And, when it was time to clean that jersey I was reminded again of how down and dirty Stockton got!
Life is busy and crazy and know I don't take the time to really savor the tender moments I am given.  Monday, September 6th was a perfect day.  I was grateful for an amazing husband, proud of a son that worked hard and made things happen, glad to be sitting by my oldest and happy to spend every single minute of the day with this wonderful family of mine.  God was reminding me of his love that day as I know he does everyday.  I was just more receptive to him:).

Comments

Patti said…
Tissue alert! Good thing I'm not reading this at work! Awesome post, Jenny. Thanks for reminding us what is important. I wish I could have heard Wylie's lesson on Sunday. Life is grand! Way to go, Stockton!
brees said…
It's amazing the hand God has in our day to day lives when you sit and listen or watch. Simple tender mercies our shown everyday for those willing and able to accept. It's hard sometimes when we get "wrapped up" in our everyday lives! I loved this post, you just have the sweetest boys!
wylie said…
What a perfect post about your perfect day! Hooray for Stockton, I loved reading how he pulled his team together and focused and influenced the outcome of the game. WOW! HOORAY!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...