Skip to main content

What Happens In Vegas...

Last weekend we embarked on our first baseball road trip of the season.  Hooray!  We are big fans of baseball season and the prospect of some new scenery and a little sunshine was so exciting.  I was giddy as I rummaged through my tote of capris and spring shirts.  I was super happy when I slipped some on that haven't been worn since my pre-Mason years.  March was the last time I went somewhere.  I have been LONG overdue!  Russell and I spent a portion of date night shopping for chairs and a cooler.  THAT is how excited I was for this trip.

An avid weather watcher, I started checking the forecast a week out.  As each day got closer the forecast got colder.  Eventually it looked like a total rain out but we remained positive.  I am sad to say the capris were left home and the long sleeve layers got packed.

The kids were out of school Friday and Monday.  We took full advantage of the time by leaving early on Thursday afternoon.  We made it as far as St. George and stayed at the Thompson Bed and Breakfast as we like to call it.  It is always fun to visit with some of our best friends ever!  The next morning we lazily got up and headed to Vegas.  The 90 minute drive was a breeze!

We got one beautiful day in Vegas.  We were in short sleeved shirts for a time while we did a little sight seeing.  The boys had never been to the strip before so we thought we would take them to some of the more family friendly attractions.  Ummm...yeah, kind of stretch of a statement I know.

The 3-D movie at the M&M store.

Mason with yellow.

Free tram rides from Mandalay Bay to Excaliber with a stop off at The Luxor.  I LOVE the architecture of The Luxor...so fascinating!

As hard as we tried to keep our sight seeing wholesome there are just some things you can't avoid.  Weirdos line the sides of the streets dressed up, doing crazy tricks hoping for tips.  The card passing goes on right in the middle of the day (we told the boys to keep their hands in their pockets and look straight ahead!).  The only way to get to the roller coasters, arcades and even a hotel room is directly through a smokey, drink happy casino.  I forget how blessed we are to live in Utah where the alcohol is pretty hidden and we have the Clean Air Act to keep us from constantly inhaling second hand smoke.  Until you spend 4 days without those luxuries you don't realize how much you appreciate them.  So, that pretty much sums up sight seeing.  We really went there to play baseball!

Like I mentioned, it was rainy while we were there and cold.  Our first day of baseball ended up being sunny with slightly muddy fields and a bitter cold strong wind.  The pictures are a little deceiving when it comes to the weather!  Thanks a zillion to my brother and his family who not only came and supported Stockton in the cold weather but took pictures for me as well.  Thanks, Dave!  I don't believe I mentioned that somehow the camera didn't get packed so an even BIGGER thanks, Dave!  Here is a sampling:


It really is better to keep your eyes open while fielding a ground ball but I love this picture of his otherwise fantastic form!



Ideally, the shortstop will catch the ball before he tries to tag the base runner out at 2nd (see ball directly over the umpire's left hand).  Stockton was trying to find his groove as was most of the team.  We will chalk it up to first game jitters and go from there!




One for the highlight film!  With Stock on short and Cayden on 2nd one was hit right down the middle.  Cayden sprinted and knocked it down falling to the ground.  He rolled the ball Stock's direction where he only had time to pick it up and fall onto the base with the ball for the out!  It was some remarkable teamwork!

We played Vegas' top 2 teams and did pretty well considering they had 20+ games under their belt compared to our one freezing cold outdoor practice.  We lost them both but we hung right with them.

Stock was the potential tying run against the team that ended up in the championship game.  You can see his disappointment when he hit a line drive to 1st base for the last out of the game.  There were tears even though there's no crying in baseball!

Day two of baseball was a little warmer.  We played at some fun fields where they have built replicas of some of the Major League fields.  We got Yankee Stadium.  This is the best I got since I only had my phone camera.



There was less wind and more sun until the night game which got considerably colder.


You may notice Mason snuggled up on Russell's shoulder.  He spent the whole weekend sick.  It was kind of nice to not have to chase him but he was so fevered that I was a little concerned for awhile.

Not even the Motrin was bringing it down.  Luckily, the priesthood is always there and his dad and another from the team were able to give him a blessing.  That's when he started improving.

It was a fun weekend regardless of the sloppy baseball, cold weather and illness.  We had a great time together as a family and with our baseball team family.  And, as you know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.  Next trip, St. George where we are determined to play to our team's potential.  I can hardly wait!

Photobucket

Comments

Ang said…
It's not fair that it was cold in Vegas! But at least you got a little trip out of it. And that picture of Stockton tagging the base is great. Good times!
wylie said…
I'm glad there was some sun, sorry it was colder than hoped. You are looking so slim Jenny, how fun to fit into pre-Mason clothes. When spring comes here it will be great to get into those "new" clothes. I enjoyed reading about how Stockton's team did, and how Stockton played. Here you come St. George!
brees said…
Poor Mason! We drug Boston around our first tournament in Mesquite sick and took him to Disney from there!! We were able to play this weekend in St. George but it was COLD!! We are headed to Vegas in 2 weeks, here's hoping for good weather!!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...