The last two posts I wrote were about my two birthday boys. Douglas does not have a birthday in June but has still been very busy!
I would like to say that he finished 9th grade with perfect marks but that is not the case. He still maintained a decent GPA for "most kids his age" as I was often told but parents have a tough time lumping their kids into the "most kid" category. I know he will excel in 10th grade. WOW! I have a kid headed to high school. It is so weird. I was so old and so mature and so sure I was practically a responsible adult when I went to high school. I know Douglas feels the same way but it is CRAZY being on the parent side.
Douglas pretty much lives at the baseball field. He played summer ball where he had practice/lifting/conditioning/field clean-up every morning and games every night. When he wasn't at the field he was usually napping. Sometimes he couldn't even make it up to his room before he zonked!
There were days I drove to the high school and back 3 times. As scary as it seems I am SO ready for him to drive so I don't spend so much of my day in the car. He has worked his butt off and really learned and improved a bunch. He hit his first high school homerun on June 10th! Amazingly enough, Grandma Lee and Grandpa Murry came to that game and even more amazing, I was actually taking pictures with my real camera when it happened.
 |
| Stepping up to the plate |
 |
| 0-2 count |
 |
| The hit! |
 |
| After the ball kept going and going I kind of spaced out a minute and started to scream. I TOTALLY forgot to take pictures of Douglas running the bases! I remembered again when he was just getting to home. You can barely see him coming in! |
 |
| The team congratulating him! |
 |
| This is the fence the ball flew over. Not only did it clear the green fence but the 8-10 feet between the green and chain link fence and it flew over the chain link fence that is there to protect the soccer field behind it. It was a MONSTER HIT! |
There is an unwritten baseball rule that a homerun = Leatherby's. Rightfully so, Douglas kept recounting the details to us all.
It was so much fun to watch!! He hasn't hit another one since but has come pretty darn close, hitting the wall a few times and pounding triples over the outfielder's heads. He has become quite the hitter! Just yesterday his 16-yr-old team beat Bingham in the championship game. And now he is done, at least for the month of August. As much as I love it, we are ready for a bit of a break. This seems like a good place to add a few more photos of Douglas' baseball season!
Believe it or not, Douglas took a little time off of baseball and attended the Manti Pageant for Youth Conference. With the Varsity Scouts he went on a trip to Moab where they rock climbed, mountain biked and jeeped. He had a ton of fun.
He came home from the trip with a VERY sunburned back. I saw him 3 days after the fact but it must have been a big deal because it was the talk of those that attended and even those that didn't! After he shed an entire layer or two of skin he was left with a pretty nice tan!
Comments