Skip to main content

The Festive Stuff

Most of the fun about Christmas comes from all of the little magical things that lead up to the big day!  I LOVE the festive stuff.

I can't talk about FESTIVE without starting with my big tree.  I have really been in love with it.  I started with a smaller version 13 years ago in my old house.  When I moved to my current house I started crying the day we put up our tree.  I have a giant window in my living room and a tall vaulted ceiling.  My little 7 foot tree just wasn't cutting it.  We ran out and got a 10 foot tree but it wasn't pre-lit.  I spent years winding lights onto that thing and buying decorations on after-Christmas clearance so I had enough to make it full and elegant.  Then I got my beautiful pre-lit and I was so happy for many years.  Until...the lights started going out in sections and it developed a bit of a lean.  This year I added a few strands of lights to fix the dark spots.  Russell propped a few books under the front end to make it a little more straight.

I still had a beautiful tree when all was said and done but I have to admit that this year I had the thought that perhaps it is time for a new tree with some new colors and some new decorations.  I am hoping to get a whole new living room this next year so we will see what the future holds for the big tree.

Our family elf makes an appearance on December 1st.  I'm not sure we officially named him last year but this year he was called Stark. (Mason got that from The Avengers.  That is Iron Man's normal person last name:))  He did a few funny things.  After the syrup episode Mason was always worried about the syrup being left out.  He didn't want Stark to drink it again!


I have made it to the Festival of Trees two years in a row now!  I like to let Mason do some of the kids activities and he gets to pick out a treat.





We spent one Family Night Christmas shopping for our cousins and each other.  It was a fun night that ended with cookies and hot chocolate at Kneaders.  How excited I was to see Santa there!  Nothing says festive more than a family pic with Santa!  The lighting is bad but here we all are, everyone happy for the most part.  Douglas clearly thought his head would be cut off so he decided to make himself small.  He regretted that decision once he saw the picture since it made him look shorter than his dad!

My most favorite festivity of all was the night we spent at Temple Square and ice skating.  The weather was doable, the crowds were light and downtown was sparkling.

The Gallivan Center has an outdoor rink.  We used to go to Murray Park's outdoor rink on Christmas Eve when I was a kid.  It has been 22 years since I have done that but I LOVED it.  It was Russell's work party and families were invited.  There were Christmas carols playing, lights in the trees, Santa and donuts and hot chocolate.  What a fun night!




Our most rewarding tradition is choosing a family each year to do The 12 Days of Christmas to.  We picked a cute family this year but it was so hard to deliver the gifts!  They often had their front window open and we even had one of the kids come looking for us.  We always remain anonymous but it brings us joy to try to deliver joy to someone else.

We did a bunch of the other festive stuff too...old tv specials, gingerbread houses, puzzles and the prize box.  Between our Elf and the prize box Mason could hardly sleep past 6:00 am each morning.  We all had a great time leading up to Christmas!  I'll end with another Santa shot and my handsome boys by our tree.



Photobucket

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...