For some reason, Halloween seemed like a week long holiday this year! There were many activities to participate in but first let's get to the costume!
Mason kind of waffled. He thought he wanted to be a zombie. He wasn't super solid on that plan and about a week before Halloween he decided to be Alfalfa from The Little Rascals. There is a 1950's version of the show and then a remake in 1994. It's been on Netflix as well so pretty much everyone knows who Alfalfa is. That is important when coming up with a costume. I think he looks just like him!
The neighborhood trunk or treat is a great way to get a bunch of candy quick but mom makes you wear a costume! Mason went for the easiest thing he could find and went with Harry Potter. I just got a new IphoneX and wanted to try out the portrait mode. Can you tell that Mason is thrilled?
We caught the Ward Spooktacular party at the stake property. Donut on a string is always a hit. I let Mason ditch the costume for this party!
One more party before the actual event...the Legacy Retirement Center party with Grandma. Sometimes it's a little rough to be the very youngest grandchild. It's our responsibility to show up to as many of the grandchildren events as we can. Mason wasn't thrilled but he did it. Hopefully, Grandma had fun and knows we love her! It was fun to watch the older generation recognize Mason from the 1950's version of the show. They probably didn't even know about the 90's Alfalfa that Mason grew up with!
![]() |
| Everyone meets in a large gathering room. The kids parade around the room in age groups. |
![]() |
| Slumped shoulders, disgusted look on his face...Mason is thrilled to be there. |
![]() |
| Another "I can't believe you are making me do this" pose! I noticed the teenager girl right behind Mason is saying the same thing:). |
School parties are still my thing! I love being there with my kids in the classroom having fun. This year I planned a Murder Mystery activity (very similar to the game of Clue). It was full classroom participation and took about 45 minutes. Some of the kids got bored and some of them enjoyed it. It's always a risk to move away from the traditional party games. One thing that never disappoints, nachos!
My mom started this tradition when I was a kid and I am happy to continue it. Who doesn't love nachos? I also decided 5th graders were old enough for canned soda so we did that as well. Only one more elementary Halloween left for this school party mom. It's a little sad to think about.
The actual night of Halloween trick or treating event consisted of a new costume (because Mason was tired of his day time one), a pillow case and a great friend, Ethan. Since Mason has a watch where I can see where he is at on GPS and I can call him we felt comfortable letting him go out on his own. I warned him of big kids that might steal his candy and pleaded with him to watch for cars and stay out of the road. I was relieved when he made it home safe and sound. Sometimes this mom worries a little too much:).
All in all, Halloween was a hit. I think we will do it again next year!
















Comments