Skip to main content

Baby Steps


At the age of 11 months and 1 day, Mason decided it was time to join in with the rest of the family and walk on 2 legs instead of all fours. I thought we would have a warm up period where I held on to his fingers and walked him around but he decided to go at it cold turkey. He climbed up to the table and took off. First it was 4 steps, then 10 and now he can make it from one room to the next. He is still a little wobbly but I would have to say he is officially walking. He can even turn and change directions. I guess in no time at all this walk will become a run.

I have been amazed at the things Mason has learned this past month. The biggest thing I have noticed is how he is mimicking so many things that I can't believe he has noticed us do. For example:

YHe got a hold of an empty water bottle and crawled over to Maggie's bowl to pour water in it.

Y He took a paper cup over to the fridge and lifted it to fill from the water dispenser.

Y He tried to swipe my credit card at Target.

Y He knows where to put the keys in the car.

Y He points the remote at the television.

Y He tries to put his shoes on his feet and tries to put his own bib on.

Food Favorites: popcorn (he wants this all day long), chicken, grapes, hot dogs, strawberries, bananas, Fruit Loops, Cheetos, peanut butter crackers (yes, I am such a good mom!) He MUST have utensils now and wants to feed himself.

Schedule: 3 meals, 2 naps, 3 bottles per day. Wakes at 6:20 like clock work and goes to bed whenever our crazy schedule allows, usually between 8:30-9.

Vocabulary: that - must be said over and over while reaching for who knows what, pa, bath, ball, ba - bottle, mom - this is his favorite word, dad, duh - Doug, duh-duh - Stockton, na na na -no when he is mad, oh -while shaking his head means NO he is doing something he knows he is not supposed to, the yucky sound that I can't even begin to spell - ka with a gurgle in your throat, and a whole lot of other jabber that only he knows.

Other Favorites: swinging at the park, driving cars on the floor, balloons, climbing the stairs, playing with his brothers, being outside, riding in his blue car, looking out my bedroom window, playing the piano.

Baseball games where there is grass close by is a pleasant experience. Ones without grass are a nightmare! He has become rather opinionated and wants things his way and now. He has thrown a few fits and makes his face turn red when he is frustrated. But, most of the time he is still my sunshiney little boy that I can't imagine life without!




Comments

wylie said…
I loved all those details and updates! He is doing so many things so fast. I guess the go-go-go is genetic and all your boys got it!!
Patti said…
This officially makes him not a baby anymore.
Kim said…
Way to go with the pictures!
brees said…
WOW! I can't believe that he is getting so big. What a fun stage to be in, he is just darling!
Mindi said…
So advanced...I am trying not to get competitive already :). Go Mason!
Mills Family said…
What a sweet little boy! He looks so darn cute walking!
Sarah said…
Oh I can't believe he's walking!! You've kept such good details on what he is doing. What a busy, adorable little guy!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...