Skip to main content

Brotherly Love

I would like to think that our family is one of the more loving ones around but there are days when I am discouraged by the lack of kindness between brothers.  We have the normal issues...arguing, whining, bugging, competition, whining, arguing, bossing, irritating, whining and arguing.  You get my drift.  Each boy has a role in the family.  We have our enforcer, I can do things better and faster, interrupt peaceful play, steal-the-ball-just-because-I-can son.  He would be the oldest.  The middle child is the leave me alone, you're hurting me, I'm-whining-loud-enough-so mom-can-hear-that-you-are-bugging-me son.  And last but not least, get-whatever-I-want-because-no-one-wants-to-see-me-sad-or-hear-me-cry would be our youngest.  These titles are given for the sole purpose of understanding the story that follows.  My boys also have many other descriptions that are wonderful and kind and gentle but for the sake of a better story we will go with the afore mentioned adjectives.

Russell received a phone call from a friend asking if he would like two Jazz tickets for the night.  He needed to let them know right away as the game was starting in 30 minutes.  As we talked about it as a family and tried to decide which boy would go with Dad the dialogue went something as follows:

"I should get to go because I like the Jazz more than you do."
"I should get to go because whenever mom asks me to help with Mason I do it without complaining, unlike you."
"I should get to go because he ALWAYS gets to do everything fun."
"I should get to go because I get ready faster in the mornings."

It was finally decided that a coin toss would be the only way to make a fair decision.  The rules were stated with full clarity and agreement was acknowledged from both sides...call it in the air, the coin will land on the carpet, best 2 out of 3.  No poor losers and no poor winners. Winner would go with Dad and loser would get a treat with Mom and not have to do a chore the next day.  Son #2 agreed to let son #1 call it first.  Heads was called and heads it was.  Son #1 would continue to get heads.  Second flip, heads.  Son #1 ran upstairs to get his jacket while middle son sat on the couch staring straight forward.  He rapidly bat his eyes as he tried to fight off the tears and be brave.  It was enough to break a mother's heart as I started the rapid eye blink as well.  Son #1 called from the stairs, "Stockton, you can go."  "REALLY!  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  I CAN GO?"  "Yes, Stockton, you go."  Stockton bolted out the door with his dad.  I went upstairs to find a very tearful oldest son.  When I asked him why he had given up the tickets he had won fair and square all he could say was, "Did you see his face?"  Awww!  Now that is a boy who sometimes may not like his brother too much but proved to me that day that he really does love him.  It is moments like those that make me feel like the daily battle is really worth it:).  The tickets ended up being on the 4th row,  Douglas ended up getting a shake at Leatherby's, and I ended my day with a prayer of gratitude for a wonderful husband and 3 amazing boys who may not always act like they like each other but at least love each other.

Comments

Patti said…
I just HATE it when you don't give a tissue alert at the beginning of your story! At work, eating lunch, reading your nice story and then BAM! And immediately after, a patient walks in and sees me like that.
Awesome job to Douglas!!!! What a great thing to do! I'm so impressed.
wylie said…
Now that is a story that makes my day! Way to go Douglas and way to go Stockton for trying to hold it together. Yep, I love days when things come together to show a mom that all is not lost and her children do listen and learn!
Kim said…
That is enough to make a mom cry tears of joy and gratitude. Kids can be so amazing!
Sarah said…
Oh how terribly sweet! Thanks for listening to me go on and on tonight. I'm always learning new things from you thank you!
Sherrie said…
That is truly beautiful. What wonderful kids you have. And you, my dear, are an excellent writer.
Kimberly said…
What a great kid, a tribute to two fantastic parents.
Terry said…
Ok...that made me cry. Thanks...I needed to hear that today. How cute was that?
M.E. said…
That is so sweet! It reminds me of one of those commercials put out by the Church. :)
Dawn said…
How cute is this!! Way to go Doug! I got teary reading this. Those are the moments when you feel like, hey...it is getting through! YEA MOM! Osmosis does work eventually (not) its what they see you do, its not what you say. Obviously they see your selfless acts and have patterned your behavior. What an AWESOME mom (and dad too!)

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...