Skip to main content

Stockton's Turn

For the past 5 years Stockton has watched Douglas play in game after game after game.  He has endured rain, cold and heat, mud and bugs, pokies and rocks, long days, late nights and port-a-potties. He has scaled backstops, trees and walls, cheered, snacked, practiced and dreamed.  He has traveled to Idaho, St. George, Steamboat Springs and Cooperstown all in the name of Douglas' baseball. All of those years prepared him for a journey of his own.  This past weekend he played in his first ever Super League tournament.  And to make it even more special, Douglas' team did not play so this weekend was ALL about Stockton.  We got double cheeseburgers at McDonald's, foot-longs at Subway, Five Guys and shakes. When we weren't eating we were playing baseball. 


The sun was shining, his uniform was crisp and clean, the dirt was dirty, the crowd was excited and I have to say I actually got a little choked up as the Horns took the field.  I LOVE baseball season and to watch my sweet middle guy be the one out there playing was so satisfying.  Even now I feel giddy remembering the events of the holiday weekend.  I was born to be a baseball mom!  I can't think of many places I would rather be with my sweetheart for Valentine's Day (okay, maybe Puerto Vallarta but that's about it)!

Our team is a new one just formed this past fall.  We have practiced in a warehouse.  Prior to St. George we had two outdoor practices.  That was it.  We won our first 4 games, 2 on Friday and 2 on Saturday.  Stockton played short stop and pitched the best he ever has.  He turned a double play in the 4th game where he caught a line drive hit right back to him on the mound and threw out the kid who left 1st without tagging up.  He played like a champ!  We sailed on to the championship game on Saturday night where we faced a much more experienced and polished team from Snow Canyon.  They scored 6 in the first inning and never looked back.  The final score was 22-3.  So, we brought home another runner's up trophy and Stockton said, "Well, I guess I am officially an Orchard" (you really have to follow the link to understand the curse of the runner's up trophy!).


We were pretty cold by the end of the night.  Still, we needed to get a picture by "our" dugout.  The one that Douglas had been in many times when he's won his runner's up trophies.  The one I remembered posing by on more than one occasion.  See....
I am so excited for boy #2 to have this fun experience with.  And to think, I still have a boy #3.  For now, Russell and I take turns chasing him.  I took the first game.  He was adventurous, curious and oh so into everything.  I am happy to say he only made his way into the dugout once and I caught him before he was able to get onto the field!  Russell had him the second game where he slept the entire time #@&;*!  I really was happy for Russell:).  The next day I took the first game again and am happy to say that Russell had quite a time chasing him for his shift.  Game 3 of Saturday (championship game) our wonderful-best-ever friends that we stayed with while were there took him home, bathed him and put him to bed.  What a treat that was.  Thanks Mike and Kim!  We love you guys.

The only down part of the President's Day weekend was leaving Douglas home.  He wanted to go to young men's and practice on Thursday night, school on Friday and play in his last Jr. Jazz game of the season on Saturday.  Sadly, he sprained his ankle pretty bad in that game and has been hobbling around ever since.  We need to get him better before he plays in his first games of the year in Arizona the first weekend of March.  Stockton will be spectating at that one but come mid-March they both play in the same tournament in St. George.  We are guaranteed 8 games in 2 days with the possibility of 6 more if they both make it to championship game.  Let the season begin!  Let the curse of the runner's up trohpy end.  This is the year for a few #1's!  I LOVE THIS GAME!

Comments

Kim said…
It was great to be a part of your weekend. The best was having you stay with us. We couldn't have asked for better friends! Love you guys!
Ang said…
Can I just say that Stockton's freckles are just about the cutest thing EVER?

Sounds like you had a great weekend!
Ang said…
Oh--and we have nowhere near your baseball schedule (or talent) in our family, but I've gotta say that when I signed Jonas up for Bingham Baseball this spring I thrilled within myself that Wyatt was finally three and I won't have to worry that he's going to fall off the bleachers and crack his head open every game. Or sit in a mud puddle. Or wander into the outfield. Hallelujah!!! You'll get there before you know it. :-)
Sherrie said…
I can't believe ya'll are able to play baseball this early in the season. We still have 2 feet of snow on the ground. So no baseball around here for at least 2 more months. WHere was this tourney? I'm glad he did so well. FUN STUFF!
Meredith said…
Thank heaven that such baseball kids have such a great baseball mom!
Aimee said…
What a great weekend for Stockton! I bet he loved being the Star of the Show!
brees said…
So cute! Good for him! I think my nephew is on his team, it was his first tournament too!
brees said…
He is actually on the next team up I guess, 10 U Horns maybe?? He's in 5th grade!!
Anonymous said…
Hey Jen,
Mom and I just read it together. I can't wait for spring either. I love watching my buddies.
Love
Grandpa/Grandma

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...