Skip to main content

Longings

Six more weeks of winter.  That is what the groundhog said today when he saw his shadow.  I say I won't survive.  I can't do it, something has to give.  The older I get the harder winter is for me.  I do believe I am a girl of every season but I have had a little less patience with the cold and dreary and I find myself considering the idea of living somewhere that it never snows, there is no inversion and January doesn't leave you singing the blues (I never really would move, it just isn't me to leave what I have always known but sometimes I think about it).  Thanks to Coldwell Banker two years ago we were in Flordia in February.  Last year we went to Puerto Vallarta.  This year, NOTHING to look forward to, no toes in the sand, no oceanside walks, just the same old blah, blah, getting really tired of winter feeling.  Okay, so we are going to St. George next weekend but this trip has historically been an opportunity to hope for brighter days only to be disappointed with record breaking cold and rain.  PLEASE be good to us this year.  I REALLY need some vitamin D.  It is becoming an actual physical longing I am having.
Longing for the sound of birds to replace the whir of the furnace.
Longing for that first short-sleeved day you spend outside only to realize your arms are a little pink from the sun.
Longing for the green grass to replace the crunchy brown.
Longing for the sound of kids laughing, big wheels rolling, balls bouncing.
Longing for a brisk walk around the trail, a smile on your face because it feels so good to not be on the treadmill.
Longing for the crocuses, followed by the daffodils, and then the tulips.
Longing for the popcorn on the Apricot trees and the pink blossoms of the Flowering Cherries.
Longing for the dirt that needs to be turned, hours spent working in the yard.
Longing for the sun to shine long after dinner.
Longing to hear the crack of a bat and the pop of a mitt.
Longing for warmer, brighter, cheerier days.
Longing for Spring!
That whole groundhog thing is just a superstition anyhow.  And, he lives in Pennsylvania or somewhere far away like that.  It doesn't really apply to us here in Utah.  So, winter is over....make way for Spring... PLEASE!

Comments

Sherrie said…
Oh how I agree with you wholeheartedly. Those longings are gonna kill me if Spring doesn't arrive soon. Sooooo tired of this loooonnng winter we are having here in Montana. I haven't seen the sun or felt its warmth in days. Starting to get really depressing.
Meredith said…
Ditto! Just reading about the things you mentioned made me ache a little inside.
wylie said…
Ditto, ditto, ditto . . . really missing spring and grass and sunshine and the color and kids home from school for the summer.
Sarah said…
Yes, I hear you!!! I can't wait to get out on the trail walking! I can't wait to get out in to my yard! It is such a good excuse for not getting things done inside. Let's hope for sunnier days!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...