Skip to main content

The Anticipation was Amazing

March Madness tournament.  First time to have both of the boys playing in the same tournament.  There was so much excitement and anticipation for this one.  We had to make sure Grandpa was coming because we knew we could possibly be in two places at the same time.  We arranged to stay with the Thompson's while we were there.  Then, we awaited our schedules.  I have a bit of a ritual on schedule day.  Russell usually calls me to tell me they are up (this happens 1 week prior to the games).  I take a quick look and call my friend, Roni, so we can discuss the teams and our chances and our times and locations.  It is almost as fun as the tournament itself!  This time I was SO hoping that I could catch 4 games with Stockton and 4 games with Douglas followed by two really exciting championship days.  Russell and I had no idea how we would pick which boy to go with for that day but we would work it out later.

The schedule:

Thursday:
Stockton:  9:00 am    Washington Heritage Park
                   1:00 pm    Washington Heritage Park

Douglas:   9:00 am      Hurricane High School
                  11:00 am    Hurrican High School

Friday:
Stockton: 9:30  am    Hurricane City Complex
                  11:30  am   Hurricane City Complex

Douglas:   11:00  am     Logandale High School
                 3:00  pm    Logandale High School

Championship day for Stockton:  St. George.  Championship for Douglas:  Mesquite.

For those of you that don't know, Logandale is 30 miles south of Mesquite.  Those games were in MST. Very confusing when you leave Utah to change times for Nevada and come back to Utah at the end of the day!  I must say I was a little bummed when I could see that bouncing back and forth between games was just not going to happen.  In my pre-Mason days I would have done anything to make it to as many minutes of a game as I could.  Now, it is just too much for the little guy.  Divide and conquer was now the plan!


Thursday was beautiful.  I sent Mason to Stockton's first game with Russell while I went with Douglas.  I sat next to Roni and we both kept score, something I have been too distracted to do for a few years now!  It was nice to watch an entire game uninterrupted.
Russell arranged to leave Stockton with one of his team mates to have lunch and get back for warm-ups while he scurried on over to Hurricane.  He only missed half of an inning.  Douglas' coach wanted Russell next to him on a bucket to score the game from his IPhone.  There is some valuable information on the IScore app.  So, I chased Mason for that second game.  We jumped back in the car and high-tailed it back to Stockton's second game as a family.  This is when I discovered a great way to use the back of the car for Mason's nap.  The field was right there, the windows were open, the hatch closed so he couldn't fall out. What better way to watch than to plop a chair in front of the car and let Mason snooze. That was the longest nap he took all weekend!
Douglas' team won both of their games on Thursday and Stockton's lost both.  We were floored.  It was really disappointing and surprising but sometimes a good whooping is what you need to work hard and get better.  We headed home that day knowing that Stockton's team was not going to be playing on Saturday but at least Douglas still had a chance.  His toughest games were yet to come.

I got to go with Stockton on Friday while Russell made the hour drive to tiny little Logandale, NV.  He carpooled in our big car and our friends let me take their little Honda.  The high for the day was supposed to be 64.  Little did I know that Hurricane, Utah would live up to it's name that day.  The wind gusts were 40-50 mph and it was freezing!  Mason was so bugged by it that he huddled under a blanket on my lap and fell asleep at 10:00.  Dirt was in our eyes, tumbleweeds were rolling and I was so miserable.  The boys were freezing too.  It was rough conditions to play in for games that didn't matter much, except to salvage a little team pride.  Between games Stockton sat in the car to eat his peanut butter sandwich.  I joined him with Mason and Noah Thompson, Stockton's friend who got to miss school to enjoy the lovely day!  The car is where I stayed for the second game.  I had already been wind slapped for 2 hours and I just couldn't take anymore.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a DVD player like I have in my own car, I didn't have much space and I was concerned about sticky little hands all over the place.   It was a LONG two hours to say the least.  My dad sat behind the backstop, peeking his head out from behind a blanket and I would call him if I didn't understand a play.  Stockton had a great hit to centerfield but I couldn't see where it landed because of my obstructed view.  
Yep, that is Stockton up to bat. Can't you tell!  This is how I watched the entire game only this photo is at least zoomed in!  I had a bit of a crink in my back from bending down to look under that pesky bar!

I have had better baseball days.  Stockton's team won both games.  I don't know how they endured those conditions but I am proud of them for hanging in there!  Douglas' games were an hour late getting started that day and even though I had a brief little thought of making the drive and meeting them, I thought I didn't have it in me and I knew that Mason was done.  We headed to the Thompson's to hang out and wait for the rest of the family who arrived at about 9:00 that night.  Douglas had two really tough games that were close and exciting and they won both of them.  Russell had gotten the best deal that day!
As sad as it was, Stockton losing made it to where our family could be together in Mesquite to cheer Douglas and his team on.  The sun was shining, the winds were light and I was ready for a full day of baseball.  The top 8 teams are left on Saturday to battle it out to the finish.  It takes 3 games to win the championship.  You lose one and you are done.  We were the #2 seed going in allowing only 6 runs to our opponents in the first 4 games combined.  We were in a good place.  Russell started the game with Mason due to my extra long and very eventful Friday with him.  I sat in the bleachers with the game day knot I usually get.  Douglas played second base.  We were flat.
We couldn't get our bats going, (Douglas did have 1 of the 5 base hits of the game and a tagout at 2nd base) we made a few errors (um...Douglas got some credit for that as well) and that gave the Dixie Indians the confidence they needed to overtake us 3-1.  Just like that we were left with a cooler full of drinks and a sunny and empty day ahead.  DRAT!
It was not the tournament I had anticipated.  It was a lot of fun to watch our boys play, we had a great time visiting with our friends, my Aunt Joey and Uncle Paul drove up from Vegas to watch on Saturday and we had a very enjoyable visit and lunch with them and the weather was nice (minus a day in Hurricane!).  But, due to my competitive nature, I was left with a bit of an unsatisfied and empty feeling inside.  We drove home Sunday, exhausted and weary but ready to do it all over again.  Next time we just hope for different results:).

Comments

Meredith said…
Whoa! I have to say that maybe it would be better if there is no baseball in our family's future. I don't think I could take it! Good for you for making all the happy and congrats to your guys for the wins they had. Sorry about the tournament.
Kimberly said…
Gotta love baseball! I'm a little jealous that Mason re-sets your baseball clock. I'll be sad to see these days come to an end.
Aimee said…
I loved your nap invention in the back of the car! Genius!!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...