Skip to main content

Me, at 38

I have never been one to dread my birthday.  I don't feel sad or old or sorry for myself.  I figure there is nothing I can do about it so I might as well age gracefully.  I also believe that you need to take charge and do exactly what you want to do to make it the best day ever.  As I pondered how I would celebrate my special day I learned a few interesting things about myself.
The Day:
I wanted to be outside in the sunshine, wearing capris, playing with Mason.  The zoo would have been my first choice but I settled for Wheeler Farm.  I have to admit that part of me didn't want to sit home and pull that sweet boy off of the counter or the computer or out of the pantry one more time.  But, the biggest part of me wanted to watch his face light up as he discovered something new.  That brings me so much joy...Mason and the sun.  Those two things belong together because he is my little sunshine.  I wore my capris, the weather was cold and windy so I ended up at the mall instead.  Nothing I could do about the weather, another thing about me....no sense crying over spilled milk.  It just wasn't worth ruining the day.

I chose to spend the day with my sister, Kelly.  That makes me happy.  My mom and my other sister, Emily, met us for lunch at Training Table (turkey-bacon-swiss, mayo instead of ranch).  More family and a yummy lunch also makes me happy.  On the way home we stopped at a bakery for a sugar cookie and a brownie.  I couldn't choose!  I love a quaint, homey, cozy little shop.  I could sip hot chocolate, read a book and enjoy a tasty morsel everyday if time, money and calories allowed.  Truly something to be saved for special occassions!

The boys did not have any games or practices that night so we went to The Cheesecake Factory as a family.  I got the crusted parmesan chicken with white sauce, Diet Coke with lime and a splash of grenadine and Godiva chocolate cheesecake (to go).  I ended the day relaxing on the couch to one of my favorite shows, Survivor. 
My Favorites:
Chocolate Fudge ice cream from Baskin Robbins, Biggest Loser, American Idol, watching my boys play baseball, looking at the grocery ads, freshly laundered sheets, spring flowers and pink blossomed trees, hot chocolate, Diet Coke, Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, Maurices, movie theatre popcorn, quiet nights at home, Disneyland

I LOVE Friday night dates. I like to be alone with my husband, sitting in a booth, someone serving me. With pretty much the same daily routine 24/7 I SO look forward to my Friday nights.


My Views:
I consider myself an overall happy person.  Some days are harder than others but life is good and I am blessed and I love my family dearly.  My husband is my best friend.  I love the quiet time we get when the kids are in bed and we can sit and talk about our day.  I appreciate how hard he works for us and I love that he honors his priesthood and serves our Heavenly Father.  I love the DAD he is to our sons.  Each one of my boys bring me so much joy.  I love being a mother.  I am so grateful to hold my little nephew and not wonder when I am going to be blessed with another one.  I spent the last 8 years wondering when my family would be complete and I really am glad to know that my baby years are past.  I feel like I have entered a new phase of my life.  Even though Mason is still little, every stage he goes through is the last.  It makes me just a little sad but I mostly feel peace.

I would like to be 10 pounds lighter but have NEVER worked harder in my life!  I can run 2 miles, pushing a 25 pound toddler in a jogging stroller in 22 minutes.  I certainly am not going to win any endurance or speed records but I feel so accomplished.  A year ago I couldn't run a block.  A typical workout for me is 25-30 minutes of running with another 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill or a two mile run followed by a 2 mile walk outside.  I do this 4-5 days a week.  Yes, I would love to be 10 pounds lighter but I would have to give up those Friday night dates and french fries and I just don't think I can do that!

I secretly get a little bit of anxiety at times.  I fear getting hurt.  I fear my kids getting hurt.  I worry about making ends meet and making the right choices for our family.  I ALWAYS sit back and remind myself that Heavenly Father is in charge and the only thing to fear is fear itself.  I do know without a doubt that God knows all and I must do my best but also trust in him.  I refuse to live a life of worry.

I have a hard time getting everything done that I need to right now and that frustrates me.  I have tried to sit back, slow down and enjoy the moment but I am happiest when the house is clean, the yard is groomed and the office is organized.  I do feel like the hardest baby days are behind me and I look forward to being more efficient from here on out.

I have never colored my hair but think that the time is soon at hand.  I am getting more and more grey and hiding it is becoming harder.  I will start coloring soon but I am usually simple when it comes to my grooming.  I never paint my finger nails, I don't wear base or blush but I do love a good pedicure.  Still, it is a luxury and it must come out of my allowance.

My hands are becoming older looking with a few brown spots, I have this little sag around my waist that refuses to go away and the lines on my face are becoming a little more defined.  These are all signs of aging but I have to say I appreciate these middle years of my life.  I value the experiences that have brought me to this place and I love the responsibilities that are mine.  Life is good....especially at 38!
I took these pictures myself!  3/25/10

Comments

Kim said…
Jenny,

You are truly beautiful....inside and out. I loved you!
Sherrie said…
You are beautiful! Great job taking those pictures. And you are a fabulous writer. I always enjoy reading everything you write about. Happy Birthday!
LaTour said…
Happy Birthday! This was so fun to read and learn more about you! The pictures are gorgeous.
Michelle said…
Jenny -

Happy Belated Birthday! I did think of you on your special day but didn't take the time to call--sorry. I totally related to your post and aging. It's good to know we're not going through it alone.
Aimee said…
Oh Jenny, I just love you! What a beautiful post -- so reflective. I am so excited for lunch next week.
Patti said…
Excellent. And so are you.
M.E. said…
Happy Birthday! I loved reading your post, thank you dfor sharing so much about yourself!
Amy said…
Jenny.. I really enjoyed reading this entry. I am so glad we are friends and you are a beautiful person.
Love, Amy
ls said…
love this post. you are beautiful, and such a great example to me. let's get together soon!
Ang said…
Jenny, these pictures are gorgeous. And so are you--inside and out. It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday and have a great perspective as we march toward the big 4-0.
Jen said…
Jenny you take good pictures. I miss you and hope your birthday was wonderful. There are so many things I admire about you.
Mama Janet said…
Jenny, where have the years gone? I was just thinking about how beautiful of a little girl you were. You have remained stunning and so, so talented. Happy Birthday!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...