Skip to main content

Confessions of an Unstylish Cheapskate

I have a confession to make.  I am a cheapskate.  I think this was more of a learned attribute than a god-given one.  I was raised the oldest of 6 kids.  My mom did her best to clothe us as stylish as we wanted to be without breaking the bank but that meant I never got expensive shoes, I never got name brand jeans and through the 8th grade, many of my clothes were homemade.  I am not complaining, I never felt gypped. (Well, I did REALLY want a pair of Jordache jeans in the 6th grade because my best friend had some.  My dad told me if I hit a home run in Bonnet Ball he would get me a pair but I think he knew that was a pretty risk free promise!)  I had no choice but to grow up to be a frugal clothing shopper.

I have come a long way.  It has taken a little trial and error but clearance jeans usually aren't that cute, that's why they are on clearance.  No one wanted them.  Walmart shirts are cheap and shrink.  Payless shoes are uncomfortable and the Jr. department...lets just say that I actually have hips, unlike most tiny Jr. girls.

One time I took a pair of Skechers back after having them for about a month.  The shoe part was pulling away from the sole.  I had purchased a "name" brand at an "upscale" store (Famous Footwear).  I expected better.  When I told the store clerk that I expected more for the price I had paid she looked at me a little funny and told me that was one of their lower priced shoes and they didn't really guarantee them for the length of time I had owned them.  She had pity on me and replaced them but told me it wouldn't happen again.

After purchasing this skirt last spring, I let it hang in my closet for a full month before I actually wore it to church.
I was certain I was in love with the skirt but I wasn't sure I had found the perfect shirt.  I had to mull it over and try it on again and again before I could pull the tag off.  I do the same thing with shirts.  I wear them around for an hour or so, tags in place, to give them a bit of a test drive.  They need to be comfortable, functional, and cute.  I am FAR too practical and I tend to be a bit of an over-thinker.  I'm keeping it real here!

Recently I have been dying for a pair of REALLY cute jeans.  This has not been a rash decision.  I have wanted them for at least a year but wanted to make sure I was the size I wanted to be so I could really enjoy them.  After all, the most I have ever paid for a pair of jeans is $30.  The price tag has been more but they have always been on sale!  I have been eyeing a pair with a tag of $72.  Can you even imagine spending that much on a pair of jeans?  I tried to do it a year ago.  I tried them on over and over but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  3 weeks ago I finally did it!  I went to my favorite store (Maurices) and tried on every pair of Silver jeans in the blue tag (curvier, slightly higher waist, more mature:)) fit they had.  I settled on a pair and with great excitement handed over my coupon (yes, I had a coupon!) and paid up.  I also picked up a pair of $42 jeans(still have a coupon) and an $11(clearance) shirt.  It was a shopping spree.  I took my purchase home and admired it.  I had no problem breaking the tags off of the cheaper jeans and the shirt.  Within days I had worn them.  The Silvers sat in the bag for a week.  I put them on several mornings while I dried my hair.  They were kind of straight on the bottom and I was thinking I needed more of a bootcut.  I put them on a few more times and after 2 weeks of agony, decided they needed to be exchanged.  I went to a different Maurices location to see it they had a better selection in my size.  I found another super cute pair of Silvers that I was certain was more "me".  I picked up another shirt from the clearance rack, swapped out the jeans and brought them home.  The shirt failed the test drive, too restrictive, and not slimming enough.  The jeans lived in their bag.  I pulled them out a few times, I dried my hair in them a few times, but perhaps they were too stretchy and fitted and that really wasn't me.


I wanted to keep them but I really hadn't tried on any other brands of jeans and since I was paying such a high price I certainly should check out my other options.  (Yes, we really are talking about a pair of jeans here...not living room furniture, not a car...a simple pair of jeans!)

A few weeks ago my husband took the day off and gave me the day to do whatever I wanted.  I was ready to solve my jean dilemma once and for all.  I invited my sister to come with me to the mall and to lunch.  I would not come home until I had my perfect pair of jeans.  I went into stores I never go in, I tried oodles and oodles of jeans on.  I just couldn't find one I loved more than my Silvers and they were all more expensive.  Back to Maurices (but it had to be Jordan Landing, not the mall since they didn't have my size. So after 3 trips to Maurices (3 different locations)to my sister's elation and my relief I settled in on "my" pair and promised not to return them.

I came home, ripped off the tags and threw them in the washer to make sure it was a done deal!  I am happy to report that I have since worn those jeans several times and I really like them!  I look forward to a long lasting relationship.  Now, what I really need is a pair of brown shoes:).  Anyone want to go shopping with me?

Comments

Elise said…
Jenny--hilarious! I, too, have a hard time spending more than $30 on a pair of jeans. The last pair I bought was on sale at Old Navy for $7. But they keep falling down. (I have this problem with all my pants. Not because I'm skinny--oh no--but because I have no waist.) And I already pulled the tag off! But I suppose for $7 I can get over it. :-) I bet you look really cute in those Silver jeans, though.
Ang said…
Whoops! Didn't realize Elise was still logged in. I bet Elise would think you look cute in your Silvers too, though. And her pants fall down a lot as well.
Patti said…
I went shopping with my sister too. She talked me into buying a pair of "Not Your Daughter's Jeans." Price tag? Sit down first... $100! Ouch! I've never done that before and don't plan on doing it again! Now I get my NYDJ's at Nordstrom Rack for 1/3 that price.
Kim said…
Congratulations! I am so like you about buying new clothes and "trying them out" before taking the tags off. After all, money doesn't grow on trees and I'm not willing to waste my money on something I won't wear. I bet it does feel good to finally find something that you like. Love to rip off those tags and wear something new! :-}
Kimberly said…
You crack me up! I love the jeans and shirts too. I am really proud of you! You've inspired me to look beyond Old Navy.

By the way, Linc left for school in Douglas' hand me downs this morning and he looked so cute- thanks for those.
wylie said…
Ok . . . so I was waiting until I saw you in the new jeans to make a comment. My verdict is that they look fabulous on you!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...