
Today marks 20 years since since Russell left on his mission. Since I was his girlfriend at the time he left I also have many memories and emotions that come back to me as I think about that day. He had already turned in his papers before we started dating so the decision was already made for him to go. We got really close in the few months before he left and it was really hard to separate for those 2 years. We both knew that we would end up together forever. It was more of a "wait and date" situation than a "wait" (I was only 16!) but things worked out in the end.
Russell was called to serve in the Denver, Colorado Mission. There was some initial disappointment when he opened his call. Afterall, Denver is almost like getting called to Idaho! Once he got there it ended up being the best mission ever. Serving a mission is such a tough thing. Russell wrote in his journal on Sept. 28, 1988, "Right now it is my first day in the MTC and I am really homesick but I know through the Lord's help I will be okay." It takes so much faith to leave the comforts of home and dedicate your life to serving the Lord for 2 years. A mission is really a life shaping experience.
I have had many impressions by the spirit over the last few years that my greatest responsibility as a mother right now is to prepare my boys to serve missions. Everytime I read the story of the Stripling Warriors in the Book of Mormon I am inspired to teach my boys about God and his Son, about making good choices, about faith, about service and about God's plan for them. It is such a tough world we live in right now and our kids need to be strong and decide early in life that they are going to choose the Lord's side. How grateful I am that my boy's dad set the example for them to serve our Heavenly Father. I was so in love with the man you see in that picture and I am so completely in love with the man he is today.
Comments
And those pictures of little Mason are so darling. What a cute baby.
Thanks I needed a chuckle today.
See ya around!