Skip to main content

Sew Challenged

It's not because my mom didn't teach me.  She made so many things when I was a kid.  She sewed lots of our school clothes.  She even made me a bunch of shirts when I was in 8th grade. They were long sleeved so I could roll them, buttoned all the way down the front, were nice and long, one was paint splattered and one was red and black.  I loved them!  She made us giant floor pillow stuffed animals, giant dolls with tons of yarn hair and several of my prom dresses. My own boys now have their own giant stuffed animal floor pillows and you may have seen all of Mason's darling blankets with matching burp cloths.  She even made all of my nursery set complete with curtains.  I just could never get into sewing.  I have made a few things, simple curtains, bean bags, babysitting kits for my Valiant girls( yeah, it has been awhile)!  I don't have a mending pile because I know I will never mend a thing!  So, imagine my horror when my boys started scouts.  From the minute you go and purchase their first shirt you are bombarded with numbers and symbols and badges that all need to be attached.  It is rather overwhelming.  The more they earn, the more you have to sew.

Douglas had a Court of Honor in the summer.  It is apparently really embarrassing if they attend without the proper rank and merit badges put in place so I got my machine out and sewed his current rank on even though he was advancing that day.  It had to be on the shirt.  I even purchased a sash and finally attached the 5 merit badges he had earned to that point.  One is a little crooked but I knew he would forgive me.  I hated every minute of it but did my "good mom" duty.  He came home that night with a new rank advancement and 10 more merit badges. I felt like it was laundry day.  You just finish up and notice something new thrown in the hamper.  

I decided the only way I would tackle this project in a timely manner was to leave the sewing machine out where it would bug me so much that I would have to sew them on and get it put away.  Here is where it sat in my dining room.

And sat, and sat, and sat.  I dusted around it mostly. Occasionally I moved it to dust when it got really bad. Finally, when I put up my Christmas decorations it got put away along with the loose badges.

Today was dooms day, Court of Honor.  I had to get his badges on.  I couldn't have him humiliated.  Last time I was at the scout shop I ran into a little something called Badge Magic. Let me tell you, the name says it all.  I was under the impression that I would be ironing these babies on but it is even easier than that.

You stick the badge to one side of the adhesive (they already have it mapped out for you), pull the backing off and stick it to the shirt or sash.  You put it in the dryer for 15 minutes or so and press firmly around all of the edges and PRESTO, the badge is attached.  What a happy mom I was today.  I can't believe I haven't discovered this sooner.  I talked to a few ladies about it at the Court of Honor and they have been using it for years.  I don't know why I was kept out of the loop but I will NEVER sew another badge on again!  Quite a wonderful thought as the mother of 3 scouts.  If you haven't tried it, do.  I promise it is worth every penny you pay!

Comments

wylie said…
OH I need that Badge Magic ... and I like to sew, but do NOT like to sew badges. I still don't have Cooper's troop number on, his Wolf he earned this summer, or anything else that he earned that can go on the uniform. The next challenge is just getting to the Scout Shop. That's a whole other adventure in and of itself.
Mills Family said…
Thanks for the tip! I have a few years until I will have to use it, but I will remember! My mom sews really well and I just have not the desire. I stare at a pattern like it is written in Greek! I once made all three girls Easter dresses. It was the worst two months of my life. When the kids need things stitched, they take them to their Dad. Ha, ha!
Tonya said…
Jenny,

When I read stuff like this I wish we talked more and I could pass on the hints I have learned ... the hard way. Love reading you blog.
Jana said…
ahh scouts I am so excited to enter into that world this year.... NOT!
Aimee said…
Since I don't even own a sewing machine, Badge Magic has saved us! We could be an ad for Badge Magic, huh??

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Family Pictures

These are the photos that lovingly adorn my entry way welcoming the world to our home. Stockton was 3, Douglas was 7 and Russell and I were somewhat younger than we are now. For pretty obvious reasons it was time to get a new picture on the wall.  I REALLY hate the whole process of family stress  pictures.  Everyone needs recent haircuts, clothes need to be clean and somewhat matching.  A location needs to be chosen, a poor sucker has to accompany us to snap the shots, no runny noses or cold sores can be present, Mason must be happy, Stockton must be agreeable and Douglas and Russell must be supportive.  So, over the weekend I forced my family to humor me and get this HUGE feat over with.  I am pretty happy with the results. Of course, for every good shot there are about 10 not so good ones!  You try and make a toddler hold still and smile nice!  My nephew, Jordan, asked his mom why I got to be in charge.  I told him i...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...