Skip to main content

Thursday Thoughts

This morning I had so many things running through my head that I knew I needed to write them down.  This post was originally going to be about how much I hate Thursdays.  We have piano lessons, both of the boys have basketball practices at different times and Douglas also has baseball and YM.  I find myself running from one thing to another with barely time to breathe.  I really despise Thursday's.

Then my thoughts moved to the reason why I hate Thursday.  My kids are older now with busy lives.  I was thinking of the good old days when our biggest care with them was if it was bath night or not and if they ate enough dinner to sustain life.  Those were the days!  Then I was thinking about how I am kind of back to those days with Mason and how I plan my days around his nap and I run crazy at night with the older ones.  Life sure is interesting right now!  I would write about having one foot in each phase of childhood.

Then I pondered the guilty feelings I was having over my inadequacies as a mom.  That is something I could write about.  Douglas came home from school yesterday with his first real disappointment of his life.  In my efforts to make sure he learned some really amazing life lesson from it, I was afraid I may have not shown quite enough empathy for his disappointment.  I wish I would have done better.  Next time I will, I vowed to myself.

These thought rolled around in my crazy head all morning.  I decided to not write about anything at all but make a plan that would help me feel like I have accomplished something. Today would be the day to tackle the piles of stuff, bills, papers to file, and mysteries to solve that adorn my desk.  This was to happen while Mason napped.  I would have plenty of time to sift and sort and make the phone calls I needed to get these loose ends cleared up. Then, after he happily woke up we would go to Discount Tire to get 2 new tires put on the Acura that we get to give back to the dealer tomorrow.  I was not happy about it but when we had our end-of-lease inspection we were told that they were worn past the tread and would need to be replaced.  We were quoted a price of $320 but I knew I could get them cheaper. Someone told us they all needed to match and someone else told us if we had 2 and 2 we were fine.  Russell called the dealership we would turn the car in to.  The salesperson told us it didn't matter if they all matched.  They just needed to pass inspection.

As I was just getting started on clearing off my desk, I received a phone call from the most wonderful neighbor.  She does not drive and her husband had just had surgery.  They thought they had a ride home but were unable to reach them.  She was hoping I could come and get them from LDS hospital.  Now this really threw a wrench into my plans.  If I woke the baby he would probably not take a decent nap all day.  Then he would be grouchy and the whole day was shot.  Stockton was not home from school yet and would be here in about a half an hour.  I knew I would not be back in time.  I had many reasons that I felt I could justify the inconvenience of the favor but I felt like I needed to go get them and not let it ruin my day.  My wonderful sister came over to wait for Stockton and let Mason continue to nap and I took off. It was a little over an hour round trip when all was said and done and I had the most wonderful visit with two really great people.  I was glad I had served with a good attitude.

I hadn't had lunch, it was getting late and piano lessons were approaching.  I still had that tire thing hanging over my head but now I felt quite a bit of pressure.  I made yet another tire phone call and felt prompted to call the lease company to verify which tires I needed to get. The last thing I wanted was to do the wrong thing and end up STILL having to pay for new tires tomorrow when we turned in the car.  Imagine my excitement when the person on the other end informed me that we had $1500 worth of insurance that would cover any wear and tear that the car may have endured by lease end.  I didn't have to do a thing!  My extra time taken in service was replaced with the time I didn't have to spend waiting for tires.

To some this may feel like a bit of good luck but I know what happened today.  The Lord blessed me with less time to follow through with my plan.  Had I not ended up playing chauffeur this afternoon, I would have been sitting at Discount Tire.  I don't know that I would have been prompted to follow up on the details that we thought we had already cleared up and I know I would be $320 poorer.  Add one more to the blessing column.

So my day went nothing as planned, I still don't care for Thursday but I have to say, this one wasn't so bad:).

Comments

Ang said…
This was a great post, Jenny. My Thursdays are crazy too (and I'm always so glad when it's Friday!). You're a great mom and a great example!
wylie said…
What a blessing Jenny! You didn't know when you got the call that it would work out so wonderfully and yet you were still so willing to help. I hope the neighbor that had the surgery is doing ok.
brees said…
Great post Jenny! It is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the daily grind. You have done many acts of service, I always admire you for that! You are a great mom, a great friend, and an awesome neighbor!! Just remember, that desk will always be there.... each day the mailman comes and will add more, the kids unload their backpacks, etc., it's the other things in life that are going to bring you true happiness!
Dena said…
Jenny, great post! Don't you just love those "blessing" days! By the way, too bad I'm not there. I LOVE to buy cars!!!

Dena
GregR said…
I loved reading your posts, but this one brought a tear to my eye. You're exactly right and helped me keep my focus. Like the ancient chinese proverb says, "row your brothers boat to shore and low, you are there also.
Aimee said…
Jenny, you are a great mom!! That's all I have to say about that.

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Family Pictures

These are the photos that lovingly adorn my entry way welcoming the world to our home. Stockton was 3, Douglas was 7 and Russell and I were somewhat younger than we are now. For pretty obvious reasons it was time to get a new picture on the wall.  I REALLY hate the whole process of family stress  pictures.  Everyone needs recent haircuts, clothes need to be clean and somewhat matching.  A location needs to be chosen, a poor sucker has to accompany us to snap the shots, no runny noses or cold sores can be present, Mason must be happy, Stockton must be agreeable and Douglas and Russell must be supportive.  So, over the weekend I forced my family to humor me and get this HUGE feat over with.  I am pretty happy with the results. Of course, for every good shot there are about 10 not so good ones!  You try and make a toddler hold still and smile nice!  My nephew, Jordan, asked his mom why I got to be in charge.  I told him i...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...