Skip to main content

Mama's Boy on Father's Day

Nine years ago, on the first day of summer, our sweet little Stockton made his way into the world. We were so happy. We had prayed from him to come and knew that Heavenly Father had heard and answered our prayers. We knew our first son would be named Douglas so we had never come up with any other boy names. We get asked if we named Stockton after that amazing basketball player, John Stockton. That is partially true. In order to figure out a name we liked we started naming famous people and when we said "John Stockton" we both knew that Stockton was it. I think it fits him well:).
Stockton has been talking since he was very young. He said several recognizable words when he was 1 and he hasn't quit since. If I ever need to know anything that his older brother won't tell me, I just need to ask Stockton! He loves to talk still and I hope he never stops. (Sometimes a break would be nice but overall, I love that he will talk to me!)

He was a trying toddler. He was grumpy 90% of the time and was into everything! Everyday was a challenge and I found myself constantly at my wits end.

But, even with all his energy, he was also snugly, sweet, cute and lovable. He was my little mama's boy. He always wanted me to do everything and seemed jealous of his dad. When Russell came home from work and gave me a hug, Stockton would work his way in between the two of us. One time Russell brought me flowers for my birthday. When he walked in the door with them Stockton told him, "Dad, how did you know that is what I wanted to give to mom!". He always wanted to steal his dad's thunder.

That's what makes it a little ironic that his birthday happened to fall on Father's Day this year. He was excited when he found out, "Now you will have to serve Dad and me breakfast in bed!" It turned out to be a good birthday. He sang "My Daddy is my Favorite Pal" with two of his friends in Sacrament Meeting. He snuggled with his dad the night before instead of me. He wrote a really sweet note to his dad and stuck it to the trophy they won in baseball this year. He has been more of a daddy's boy the past few months since Russell helped coach his team. He is so glad to have his dad there and be dad's priority this year. If there is ever a conflict in games, Dad goes with Stockton.
This is a typical outfit for Stockton. He believes that a white undershirt should be worn every day of the week, by itself with whatever sport shorts you have available, clean or not. He will not wear plaid shorts or denim. It is all about the sport fabric.

He thought he may want to go to The Roof for his birthday dinner but somehow we didn't make reservations in time:). He choose Cafe Rio instead.

He had a party at Classic Skating with many of his friends. I was so exhausted serving pizza, pouring drinks, cutting cake, pouring drinks, keeping track of piles of scooters, moving shoes out of the walk way, rounding up boys to head to the pool, sorting tokens, directing kids to the drinking fountain and on and on and on that I didn't really feel up to taking many photos. I did manage to get a few.
Drying off after sliding.

Darling pics of my cute nephews and boys! This was Mason's first time swimming. I think we managed to enjoy the only sunny day since school has been out. What luck!

Mason looking too, too cute in his swim gear.

Happy Birthday Stockton! We love you and are so glad you are part of our family.

Comments

wylie said…
Oh I just love reading this post. Happy birthday Stockton, we love you as one of our family and surrogate brothers to Cooper and Talia.
Kimberly said…
Happy Birthday little Buddy! You are one GREAT kid!
M.E. said…
So cute! Stockton is all boy, and we love watching him around the circle!!
Aimee said…
I-a am-a so-a proud-a of-a you-a, Stockton,-a. Happy-a Birthday-a! (Oh, Jenny, I know it drove you nuts, but it still makes me laugh!!)

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...