Isn't the internet amazing! I sit in a hotel room in Puerto Vallarta while my husband is setting off on a 2 hour sailboat adventure. I am the the last partner anyone would want for The Amazing Race. I am happy to have my feet on the ground. I have no need to bungie jump, skydive or repel. My biggest adventure this trip has been watching a lady get stung by a mana ray, reconfirming my decision to be a spectator of the ocean, not a participator. The mana ray got Russell thinking as well but I know he will not be able to go the entire trip without boogie boarding!
I have been aware of a few little quirks that pop up when us Orchards travel that I thought I would jot down. Maybe you will find some of them interesting or even entertaining.
1. Have a plan. I am not a good stand-by flyer or fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants vacationer. I really like to know what is coming next. It is not necessary to have all of the details planned out but a rough draft always helps. It could be as simple as: morning walk down the beach, breakfast, sit in the lounge chair and read all day, shower before dinner, dinner followed by a walk to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. I don't need times, I don't need a set schedule and there can be a few spontaneous things like: get up from the beach chair when you need a break and take another walk. That is okay. I just hate sitting around asking, "What do you want to do?" It makes me a little crazy.
2. I am a mood packer. I can't just pick 4 shirts and 4 pairs of pants to take. I can do the 4 pairs of pants but I don't know what shirt I am going to feel like wearing on Friday. 8 shirts is a much better plan. Then you feel like you have everything you need. How much room does it really take to bring a few extras? Russell, however, brings the bear minimum.
3. When we first get into our hotel room we have to check things out. Russell goes straight for the internet connection, I go for the Hotel Guide Book. It is nice to know where things are and the amenities available. Of course I usually already know this from my pre-trip studies but I am now here and can become more oriented with my surroundings. I like to know what hours we can eat, shows playing at night, possible tours to take, how to get a towel to take to the pool. You know, all of the important stuff.
4. It is good to take a little walk after you read up. Stop in the giftshop and see what they have should a need arise. If we need a pair of tweezers, we are covered.
5. Gather up a few snacks. This is important. Even though we are currently at an all-inclusive hotel and I can walk down to the grounds pretty much any time of the day and find something to eat, you never know when the 2 am munchies are going to hit. I don't want to leave the room at that time. Having a snack on hand brings peace of mind. I haven't eaten mine yet but should I wake and not be able to get back to sleep without it, I have a plan!
6. A double-double room is okay for a romantic get away. It provides closeness when closeness is desired and it provides pure relaxation when stretching is desired. Other couples complain when they see two dinky beds in their room but we are fine with it. We still have one nice big bed at home, we still like to hold hands, we can survive a few nights in separate beds.
7. We have decided talking about the kids while we are gone is okay. They are just too much a part of us to not talk about them. But, it is fun to be gone just the two of us, talking about the kids instead of the kids talking to us! We love them dearly but do cherish this break!
8. Stairs only, no elevator. I have worked too hard to throw it away on food and more food. We have made a vow to only take the stairs the whole time we are here. Besides, elevators are a little creepy to me. We have had 2 really great workouts in a row and now we both have sore calves. The stairs seem to be doing the trick! Hopefully, the scale feels the same way!
9. All Inclusives are the way to go. It takes all of the stress out of a vacation. I am a penny counter. I pack peanut butter sandwiches into Disneyland, I stock coolers with yogurts and drinks. I am not doing anything here!! I open my already stocked fridge for a drink, I order something different at dinner if I don't like what I originally ordered. I don't look for ways to combine things so it can be cheaper. It is truly relaxing!
10. Diet Coke is not the same in Mexico. Dark chocolate does not exist. That is why I had Dove darks in my bag when I boarded the airplane. Some things you just can't leave home without!
I have been aware of a few little quirks that pop up when us Orchards travel that I thought I would jot down. Maybe you will find some of them interesting or even entertaining.
1. Have a plan. I am not a good stand-by flyer or fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants vacationer. I really like to know what is coming next. It is not necessary to have all of the details planned out but a rough draft always helps. It could be as simple as: morning walk down the beach, breakfast, sit in the lounge chair and read all day, shower before dinner, dinner followed by a walk to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. I don't need times, I don't need a set schedule and there can be a few spontaneous things like: get up from the beach chair when you need a break and take another walk. That is okay. I just hate sitting around asking, "What do you want to do?" It makes me a little crazy.
2. I am a mood packer. I can't just pick 4 shirts and 4 pairs of pants to take. I can do the 4 pairs of pants but I don't know what shirt I am going to feel like wearing on Friday. 8 shirts is a much better plan. Then you feel like you have everything you need. How much room does it really take to bring a few extras? Russell, however, brings the bear minimum.
3. When we first get into our hotel room we have to check things out. Russell goes straight for the internet connection, I go for the Hotel Guide Book. It is nice to know where things are and the amenities available. Of course I usually already know this from my pre-trip studies but I am now here and can become more oriented with my surroundings. I like to know what hours we can eat, shows playing at night, possible tours to take, how to get a towel to take to the pool. You know, all of the important stuff.
4. It is good to take a little walk after you read up. Stop in the giftshop and see what they have should a need arise. If we need a pair of tweezers, we are covered.
5. Gather up a few snacks. This is important. Even though we are currently at an all-inclusive hotel and I can walk down to the grounds pretty much any time of the day and find something to eat, you never know when the 2 am munchies are going to hit. I don't want to leave the room at that time. Having a snack on hand brings peace of mind. I haven't eaten mine yet but should I wake and not be able to get back to sleep without it, I have a plan!
6. A double-double room is okay for a romantic get away. It provides closeness when closeness is desired and it provides pure relaxation when stretching is desired. Other couples complain when they see two dinky beds in their room but we are fine with it. We still have one nice big bed at home, we still like to hold hands, we can survive a few nights in separate beds.
7. We have decided talking about the kids while we are gone is okay. They are just too much a part of us to not talk about them. But, it is fun to be gone just the two of us, talking about the kids instead of the kids talking to us! We love them dearly but do cherish this break!
8. Stairs only, no elevator. I have worked too hard to throw it away on food and more food. We have made a vow to only take the stairs the whole time we are here. Besides, elevators are a little creepy to me. We have had 2 really great workouts in a row and now we both have sore calves. The stairs seem to be doing the trick! Hopefully, the scale feels the same way!
9. All Inclusives are the way to go. It takes all of the stress out of a vacation. I am a penny counter. I pack peanut butter sandwiches into Disneyland, I stock coolers with yogurts and drinks. I am not doing anything here!! I open my already stocked fridge for a drink, I order something different at dinner if I don't like what I originally ordered. I don't look for ways to combine things so it can be cheaper. It is truly relaxing!
10. Diet Coke is not the same in Mexico. Dark chocolate does not exist. That is why I had Dove darks in my bag when I boarded the airplane. Some things you just can't leave home without!
Comments