Skip to main content

A Little Bit of Complaining

I try to be positive and happy most of the time but just to keep it real I've got a few things to get off my chest.

1.  Mason was sleeping quite well at night.  I thought we had jumped a hurdle.  Then he started fussing and waking up again.  To make matters worse, we went off of daylight savings.  You know, "Spring Ahead, Fall Back".  An extra hour of sleep.  I really don't see where that benefited me. Now instead of waking at 6ish, he's been waking at 5ish and he is still stirring at night.  I could have done without that extra hour.

2.  I am getting really tired of dust and clutter and piles and bathrooms that need cleaning.  I sit in this house really wanting to make it spic and span but barely finding time to get the necessities done.

3.  I got a little frustrated with Mason's lack of daytime napping and him always waking up screaming when he did sleep.  Finally, Thursday night when he was screaming again I decided something must be wrong.  For sure he had an ear infection.  Don't you hate it when you finally give in, go to the Dr. and the ears are fine!  What a waste of a $35 co-pay not to mention how stupid you feel when the Dr. tries to come up with some reason why else they might not be happy..."How are his bowel movements?  Let me feel in his mouth to see if he is cutting teeth", like I hadn't already thought of that!

4.  One of my sons (he will remain anonymous) forgot about a rather important project that was due today.  Luckily, a friend of mine mentioned her son's project on Saturday night.  I wonder when he would have remembered if I hadn't have asked.  Needless to say, that is NOT what I wanted to spend my time doing this weekend and I was not too happy about it.  He owes me big time.

5.  I am really tired of making trips to Smith's only to find that the Swiss Miss hot chocolate is still out of stock.  Are you kidding me?  If you tell me it is going to be on the truck Friday night I expect it when I go there on Saturday.  Apparently all of the Smith's are out as I tried a different one today with no luck.

6.  When I go shopping with a very specific list I never seem to find what I am looking for.  My sister had pity on me and gave me a few skirts to wear until I could fit into something I own.  I was looking for something dark brown, something charcoal grey and something cream(not all on the same shirt). Not only did I find NOTHING in that category that would work, I forgot to use my "save $10 on your $10 purchase" on the things I got for the rest of the family.

7.  I am so sick of working my butt off(obviously not literally:)) only to have unfavorable results on the scale.  Why is it so dang hard to loose weight?  Since I was so discouraged I decided to not even care last week resulting in a gain.  Now that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

8.  And speaking of weight, I got a stupid comment on my dinner post from someone who is trying to sell me his miracle weight-loss drug.  It is none of his business and he needs to stay off of my blog!!

9.  I already have plenty of yard work to do without annoying kids smashing pumpkins all over the side of our house.  Thanks a lot you delinquent little brats.

10.  I got to spend a half an hour working out a FEES charge that showed up on my mortgage statement.  Don't you love getting the "new girl" on the phone only to tell her how the fees work because what she is telling you is absolutely absurd.  "What happens is they charge you a fee to pay online.  This is just an accumulation of those fees a few dollars at a time."  "Actually, they take that fee out of my bank account.  I have the statements to prove it." Then she tells you that you will have to gather the paperwork proving that and mail it to such and such department and they will review it and blah, blah, blah.  "Can I speak to your manager please?" Come to find out, the charge was for a payoff inquiry from December of 2005.  Are you serious? Needless to say, they gave me a courtesy credit.  Still, not what I wanted to spend my time doing.

So, I pretty much was a grump all week.  I just need to get control of things!  I never thought that an 8 year gap between my boys would send me into such a tail spin.  On the positive side, I had a few really tasty chocolate donuts, a great day of Sister Settlers, a family gathering at Famous Dave's, lunch with some really great friends and dinner with some other really great friends, I attended the temple, my little procrastinator sorted my laundry for me to help make amends, Chick-Fil-A is now open, Stockton brought home his tallest trophy yet when his basketball team won the championship, that baby that never sleeps makes me smile everyday, my aunt from Texas is here for a visit, Stake Conference was very inspiring and I have decided to have a better attitude this week.  Thanks for listening!

Comments

Ang said…
You know, sometimes all of us need to say the phrase "you delinquent little brats." It makes us feel better. :-) Maybe you could call me at 5:23 one morning and both of us could rhapsodize over the joys of Daylight Savings Time!! I'm happy for you w/ the Chick-Fil-A, though. That always makes a girl feel better.
brees said…
You go Jenny! Anytime you want to meet at Chick-fil-a give us a call, we have been to the new one twice already! What is Sister Settlers?
Jenny said…
Settlers of Catan is the funnest game ever. There are add-ons to make the game more challenging. I like to play Seafarers with Cities and Knights. We played a lot with Taz and Roni Smith in our pre-baby days and my family likes the game as well. A few years ago Roni's sister lived in Washington so when she would come to visit we would plan a day where I would invite my sister and we would play (it can take 1 1/2 hours for one game). Thus the term "Sister Settlers". Now that Jana is in the neighborhood it is easier to get together but it still doesn't happen enough! I also refer to a game day with my sisters as Sister Settlers. We even planned a girl's day in one time and had a sitter take the kids to the park while we played. It was cheaper and more enjoyable than shopping. I'm happy to teach anyone who wants to learn. Give me a call!
Mills Family said…
I love your post! It made me feel more normal. A couple weeks ago, we stayed up until 11:30 trying to get my oldest daughters, "Voice of democracy" essay to converted from a wave file. She went to bed while we battled it out. "You have had this assignment for 3 weeks and you had to wait until the last night to record it?" Last night was, "I hate diorama" night. Who invented those nasty things and why can't children tell you about them sooner.
I love Settlers of Catan. We have the "mormon" knock off, Settlers of Zarahemla. It doesn't have the extensions, not near as fun.
And, I hate the daylight savings things too. But, I am past the wake up in the night child phase. I just am tired all the time. I want to go to bed at 8:00 p.m. every night.
Jana said…
Sister Settlers is also waaay more fun that couple settlers because we are better sports. (well most of the time hee hee).
Jennifer Duncan said…
I love you Jenny! Call me next time your having a rough go and I'll watch Mason so you can take a nap. I like to shut bad weeks down with a nice nap.:> You need to start asking your neighbor for favors...it's only been like 8 years and you haven't asked once!
Mindi said…
Jenny,
I so love you. I laughed out loud reading your list. It looks like we've been on the same page lately--and anywhere you are is good. Thank you so much for being you.

Mindi
Aimee said…
I am grabbing my steamer and I will be over to help you clean in 10 minutes!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...