Skip to main content

What's for Dinner?

I know I am way too young to feel like this but I am really struggling with dinner these days.  I feel like I have cooked my meals, done my dishes, paid my dues and I deserve to not have to do that anymore.  It is not economically possible nor is it healthy to eat out each night(as much as I would love to) and I am just going to have to snap out of it.  So, here I sit, asking myself "What's for dinner?"  I now pose that question to you, "What's for dinner?"  I thought if we gave each other some ideas we could all benefit from this little post.  Maybe it will even turn into a regular entry like a "Dear Abbey" column.

We are having grilled chicken sandwiches with Swiss cheese and bacon, fries and homemade shakes for dinner tonight.  Since I am on a diet I will only be eating the sandwich and substituting the other items for something healthier and a lot more bland like cottage cheese...mmmm=).

Other things I am making for dinner this week:

*Stouffer's Lasagna-sorry if you missed that sale.  It was a good one.
*Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup(Buy uncooked noodles in the freezer section.  They taste just like homemade)/salad/muffins
*Chicken Ala King (cream of chicken soup with chunks of chicken, carrots & celery served over rice)/salad/jello

There.  I did it.  My week is planned and I should have no excuse but to cook dinner each night. Why don't you take a minute and plan out your week, then, take a minute and let me know what you are fixing for dinner.  I would love your ideas!

Comments

brees said…
AGH! I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I seriously would love for you to let us know about the awesome sales! I think more of us are needing to cut back and it would be very helpful! As for the dinner ideas, I will get back to you. Tonight we had the stand by Taco's N tot's. Tomorrow is Chicken and brown rice, bland........
Ang said…
So last night we had roast and potatoes and carrots, but Forrest made it. And then tonight we had beef and lentil soup made from the leftover roast and potatoes, but Forrest made that TOO. (I did make some gravy, though. And put some Pillsbury crescent rolls in the oven. :-)

Tomorrow and the next night Forrest is out of town so we'll probably have mini corndogs and/or pizza.

So far I'm not helping much!

But I do have the following on my "dinner list":

-Taco casserole (it's good--I could send you the recipe)
-Sweat and Sour Chicken
-Chili
-Pork chops

And someone in the family will complain about each dinner! Yes, yes, we love cooking dinner, don't we?
brees said…
Okay, so I asked my kids there favorites, keep in mind John is the main cook in our house, we BBQ at least 2 times a week.

*Chicken parmesean(sp?)& roasted veggies
I use fresh chicken, sphagetti sauce, mozarella cheese, bake.
Veggies-Red potatoes cut in half, brocoli, carrots, whatever I have, put about 1/2 olive oil in bottom of pan, sprinkle garlic, bay leaves, whatever we have and bake!(you can really alter this with what you have and like!)
*Chicken nachos-bag tortilla chips, 1 can chicken, grated cheese, diced onions, sometimes olives. sprinkle on chips, put on broil in oven for about 3-5 minutes. This is my kids favorite after church.
*BBQ chicken cutlets-put olive oil, bay leaves, whatever seasoning you have in bag, put cutlets in and shake. BBQ them. BBQ veggies. Take long carrotts, squash, whatever you have, marinate in olive oil and seasoning and grill them too, YUM!
*We also do the standby Chili on Frito chips with grated cheese, tomatos, sour cream, ketchup and lettuce.
*BLT's are also a favorite right now. We were using up the last of the garden tomatos!!
Laural said…
Ok...you know I don't blog, but I will comment just because I love dinner ideas and I get in the same rut. Last night we had something easy and everyone likes - well almost everyone ☻ - Broccoli bow tie pasta with chicken...olive oil/butter, garlic, lemon zest, sea salt and lemon juice - heat and add cooked broccoli and pasta, strips of chicken (pre-cooked) then add parmesan cheese and toss. You can add toasted pine nuts also. Yummy and easy.
Laural said…
Oh, and I should tell you about what I do with chicken - I got it from Tamara. Put chicken breasts in a brine of 1/4 of salt and sugar to two quarts of water for a couple of hours. Then BBQ it and cut into strips. It's like the Tyson cooked chicken strips but much better. I do a bunch at a time and freeze when chicken is on sale. You can use in in so many things and it makes recipes so fast.
Jenny said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said…
What is with you ladies that have cooking husbands? How did that happen? Thanks for the ideas Brooke and Angie. Ang, is "Sweat and Sour Chicken" an old family recipe:). I just had to say that. Also, I would love the taco casserole recipe. Why don't you share it with all of us.

Laural, I am so glad you made a comment! I think you are closer to blogging than you think. Thanks for the great ideas. Tamara Horne knows everything. I wish she would post some ideas.

Thanks for all of your help everyone. Keep your ideas coming!
Mills Family said…
I actually hate making dinner too. I can never come up with ideas or we are running around all afternoon and I never remember to take anything out of the freezer. So, here is my weeks unexciting menu:
Sunday - French Dip sandwiches with au jus, pasta salad & caesar salad
Monday - Left overs from Sunday - yeah!
Tuesday - Homemade chicken noodle soup and rolls
Wednesday - Taco Salad
Thursday - Spaghetti and Garlic Bread (we always have spaghetti when Jeff is out of town. He hates spaghetti. It is my favorite night, because Kaitlyn or Krista make dinner.)
Friday - Cream of Broccoli Soup and rolls
Saturday - Dutch oven Teriyaki chicken and vegetables on rice.
I would love Angie's taco casserole recipe too. I make Taco soup and my kids all moan through dinner.
Jana said…
Hey Roni and I recently did a 2 week dinner meal plan that we got out of a book. We did all of the cooking in one day which was a pain but always fun when you do it with a friend. It was so awesome to have 2 weeks of meals not only planned but mostly cooked too (some had minimal day of preparation and some were complete casseroles). Most of the recipes were new and I found several new favorites because of them. I went on Amazon and found the book and bought it because the one we used was borrowed. We are gearing up for round two right now. The last 2 week plan actually lasted about a month due to eating out and the fact that Aric was out of town for a week so I figured the kids were good with spaghetti O's and Mac and cheese. If anyone would like to take a look at the book let me know.
I too would love one of those cooking husbands. Where can they be found?????
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...