Today I had a once in a lifetime amazing experience that I just had to share. It started out as a very bad snowstorm and a drive in rush hour traffic downtown. It was a little nerve racking and slightly inconvenient but it was worth every minute. My sister-in-law, Riza, was sworn in as a US citizen today. My brother, Dallas, met her on his mission and fell in love with her. He spent more than a year trying to get her to this country and we met her for the first time 4 years ago this month. As soon as her visa was in place she got on a plane, by herself, and left her native country of the Philippines. She had one modest suitcase of stuff with her and that is how she started her new life in America. I remember thinking how brave she was and how hard it must have been to leave her family and friends behind knowing she wouldn't be with them often, if ever. Her and my brother were married just days after she was here and my sisters and I broke her into our family by taking her shopping the morning after Thanksgiving. She bought her first winter coat that day!
The naturalization ceremony was beautiful. As they asked for candidates to share what they were feeling there were many tears as you can imagine. These people were so happy that they were finally going to be citizens of the most wonderful country in the world. They stood and repeated their oaths, part of which they had to denounce any allegiance they had to their former countries, and I felt so much patriotism and gratitude for this country that I have always called home. They showed a short film with a message from our current president and showed scenes from this great land as they played the song "God Bless the USA". Just the song alone brings tears to my eyes but the footage that accompanied it made it even more inspiring. I left that ceremony today so "Proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free."
Dallas and Riza cried tears of joy as did the rest of us who were able to attend.
I am so glad I woke up early and braved the storm so I could be a part of this wonderful experience. We are so blessed to live in this country and have the freedom's we do and my family is blessed to have such a special sister in Riza. She is funny, kind, loving, smart, gracious, beautiful and so many other wonderful things. We love you Riza!
The naturalization ceremony was beautiful. As they asked for candidates to share what they were feeling there were many tears as you can imagine. These people were so happy that they were finally going to be citizens of the most wonderful country in the world. They stood and repeated their oaths, part of which they had to denounce any allegiance they had to their former countries, and I felt so much patriotism and gratitude for this country that I have always called home. They showed a short film with a message from our current president and showed scenes from this great land as they played the song "God Bless the USA". Just the song alone brings tears to my eyes but the footage that accompanied it made it even more inspiring. I left that ceremony today so "Proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free."
Dallas and Riza cried tears of joy as did the rest of us who were able to attend.
Comments
I am glad you found my blog too- and I put you as a link on mine (I hope that is ok...if not let me know)!
Emily LaTour