Skip to main content

18 Years

18 years ago today Russell and I were married at 8:30 a.m. in the Salt Lake Temple on the record breaking coldest day of the year.  I must start off by saying I am so sorry to my mom and dad for getting married 4 days before Christmas.  I was the oldest of 6.  My dad had just been shot in a hunting accident and had been in the hospital a month prior to that.  My mom had to deal with my dad, Christmas, and this wedding all at the same time.  Now that I am a mom I realize how that just might have been her ticket to the funny farm but she did a great job and I love her so much!  Also, 8:30 am is not a great time for people to have to be to a wedding but we only had an 8 week engagement so there weren't a lot of options.  When you are young and in love, those things don't really matter to you!

We had a wonderful ceremony followed by freezing cold pictures.  I would take my coat off for the shot and immediately put it right back on.  It was miserable to say the least.  We had soup and salad at the church and then prepared for the reception.  All I remember is being the happiest girl in the world!  We stopped at Subway on our way to the downtown Marriott that night and the rest is history!

When we first got married Russell was working construction.  He was told a week later that he didn't have a job.  He spent a week or so doing work through a temp agency before he got hired on at First Security Bank.  He was making $5 an hour and I was making $5.50 working at Tel America Long Distance.  We lived in my aunt's basement apartment in Sandy for 3 months but hated the commute so we moved into the other side of my Grandma's duplex in West Valley.  I drove an electric blue Geo Metro and Russell drove a '78 Celica fully loaded with a sunroof!  He was a size 30 and I was a size 7.  He had a nice bushy mustache and I had nice bushy hair.  We shopped at the thrift store for his suits.  We found good ones most of the time but I remember looking at his butt once wondering why it looked so funny.  The pants to his suit had been taken in so much that the back pockets touched each other at the middle seam.  He obviously had not taken the jacket off in the store to notice that.  He made sure he always wore the jacket when he was wearing that suit!

Our first vacation was to Disneyland.  We got 50 miles to the gallon in my little Geo, stayed in a room with my parents (Thanks for that.  What a sacrifice!) and went in the pouring rain from ride to ride.  It was so much fun.  We saw Phantom of the Opera in LA and drove home.  I learned then that Russell only makes stops for real emergencies and you better learn to hold it!

We were so excited when we bought our first house for $69,000.  We did all of the sweat equity we could and hoped we would be able to make the jump from our $350 rent to a $591 mortgage! 

We spent the first 5 years child free and had fun fishing, camping and being carefree.  Those were really fun times.  As much as I loved them, the boys have made life together even better.

It's hard to believe it has been 18 years.  We are the same couple with a whole lot of life experiences under our belt and a few gray hairs.  I wouldn't change a thing and I look forward to the next 18 years!

Comments

brees said…
Happy Anniversary! I loved how you told about jobs, life etc. "back then", it is so funny to hear those things!!
Kimberly said…
What a cute read. Happy Anniversary!
Mills Family said…
What a great post! I love the hair. My kids still laugh everytime they see our wedding photos. Happy Anniversary!
Aimee said…
I wish Russ still had that mustache. At least now he wears gel in his hair! LOL!

Your family picture turned out great! Ellen did a good job!!
Patti said…
That was great. Thanks for letting us know all those things about you two. You two are so cute in that wedding picture!
Dena said…
Jenny, you were such a pretty bride! I can't believe it was so long ago. Happy Anniversary!
Mindi said…
Yeah for December anniversaries! The picture by the now blown away tree is priceless. We love you two!
Kim said…
That was so fun to read about your wedding day and a summation of years to follow. I'm so happy you bought that $69,000 home. We loved those little houses didn't we! That's what brought us together as friends for life! Happy 18!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...