Today we celebrate Mason's 6 mo. birthday. I know that is not an "official" occasion to mention but in babytime, it is quite a milestone. It is hard to understand unless you have been there what it feels like to yearn for a child. For years I had felt that our family was not complete but did not have the power to do anything about it. I spent many hours praying, pondering, going to the temple and hoping. I even tried to convince myself that the two wonderful boys I had were blessings enough. I just couldn't shake it. With losing our Lincoln and losing a baby at 4 1/2 months last summer it seemed I might just have to move on. How excited I was to find out that Mason was on his way! I was not a bit disappointed when we found out he was a boy. As fun as a girl would have been, how could I possibly be sad?
There was always that thought in the back of my mind that I would never actually get him here safely. I had very guarded hope. It was so amazing to hold him for the first time. I knew he had been missing and he was finally here! I hope I never forget what that felt like.
Life has changed drastically for our family but mostly for me. When you have an 8 year gap between your babies there is a lot of lifestyle adjusting that goes on. Gone is the freedom, gone is the get whatever you want done whenever you want, gone is the sleep you have come to expect. It is replaced with tired pure joy! I love this little boy so much. Here are some of the highlights from his short little existence.
He attended his first little league baseball game at the age of 1 week old. I dare say he has been to more games than many of you have been in your life!
He has been to two professional baseball games, one in Yankee Stadium and one in Shea Stadium to see the Mets. He has ridden the subways of New York, seen the Statue of Liberty, been to Central Park, wandered down Time Square and been to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
He has been fishing, although he didn't catch anything that day, his brothers did.
He has grown out of some of my favorite outfits. There is nothing like those little newborn clothes and the memories that you make in them. It was sad to pack them up.
I haven't even kept track of how many miles he has walked but he sure made a great partner on the neighborhood trail. It is too cold now but we will be back at it in the Spring!
He has already learned a little about Pokemon. His brothers have many things they are anxious to teach him. He adores his brothers and loves to greet them when they come home from school.
He has had his first Halloween and Thanksgiving and can roll from back to front. He just can't seem to figure out how to get back to his front! I believe he will sit up and crawl before he has that mastered.
Gone are the days of rocking in the swing. As nice as it is to take it down, it is a reminder that time is going by so quickly.
He has been such a help at school. Kimberly and I were trying to get something done one day and between our two little ones it was quite an adventure! I do look forward to many more days together working at the school. He will be eating school lunch with Stockton in no time.
Mason loves to be outside and had lots of chances before it turned cold. Here he is with his dad at Boondocks.
This was taken just this morning! He now eats baby food, spits when he is happy, loves his walker(yes, I said walker. He freaks out in his exersaucer because he hates not being able to get the toys into his mouth). He has a fascination with our dog Maggie and loves to watch her. His toes are his new favorite toy and he has the most beautiful blue eyes. He is happy about 97% of the time. It is really hard not to smile when you are around him because his smile is so contagious. He loves laying in the bath and splashing, he almost holds his own bottle and he loves to shop, a bonus for this time of year! He is not a great napper but gave me a huge break yesterday when he took a 3 hour morning nap and a 2 hour afternoon nap. That is a week's worth of sleep for him.
There was always that thought in the back of my mind that I would never actually get him here safely. I had very guarded hope. It was so amazing to hold him for the first time. I knew he had been missing and he was finally here! I hope I never forget what that felt like.
He has already learned a little about Pokemon. His brothers have many things they are anxious to teach him. He adores his brothers and loves to greet them when they come home from school.
Comments
Mason is such a happy, darling little guy.