Skip to main content

It's Official

There have been signs of it all around in his bedroom, in his voice, in his hobbies, in his smell and in his attitude but it is now official. This sweet little baby boy has turned into a teenager!

I know what you are thinking, "Russ and Jenny look way too young for that!" I know, I know but nonetheless, Douglas celebrated his 13th birthday today. Hard to believe. I offered to come have lunch with him yesterday at the school like I always have in the past and he graciously declined. Then I offered to bring it there and he could meet me in the parking lot. That would be a no! Then I had the best idea of all...a vending machine lunch. I gave him $5 only to have his favorite machine keep 2 of them with nothing in return and he brought me $2 in change. My great idea turned into quite a bummer!

He has always loved surprises and wanted me to pick out his gifts on my own. I must say with the help of Russell we were able to please! A new catcher's mitt, a video game, some clothes and some Skull Candy(these are the best earbuds ever for those of you not familiar with the latest technology:)). What more could a boy want?

Today was spent playing in and winning his first Jr. Jazz game of the year followed by dinner at Tepanyaki. He chose to spend the rest of the night with us instead of friends and we made a run to Baskin Robbins for shakes and ordered a pay per view movie!

He was born loving sports.  It may have been all of those early Cowboy's games. They did win the super bowl a month after he was born. Isn't this such a guy pose!
I still remember when Russell and I took him to his first Jazz game. He was so excited and watched the whole thing!
Here are some of my favorites of when he was a toddler! You must click on this to get a close up look!
This is my all-time favorite shot of him. It was taken when he was 10.

The highlight of this past year is when he was able to go to Cooperstown New York and play in a tournament there. This is where 12-yr.-old boys are treated like the pros. He stayed in a dorm with his team, played on great fields, was inducted into the Little League Hall of Fame and had the time of his life! It was made that much better by his best buddy, Grandpa Murry, being there to experience it all with him.







Baseball is his favorite but he is quite an athlete. He loves basketball and football as well.
Douglas loves the outdoors and won't turn down an opportunity to go fishing, hunting, camping or snowboarding.

Some of his favorite things are ice cream, steak, video games, his cell phone, sports, 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, Subway sandwiches, spending time with his family, popcorn, and music.

He has always been such a great kid and I know he will continue to accomplish great things! Life with a teenager, I couldn't think of a better one to start with! Happy Birthday Douglas!

Comments

brees said…
wow! Happy Birthday Douglas! I agree with your mom, I have watched you, you are an amazing kid, great brother, good friend... keep it up!
Kimberly said…
Happy Birthday to one great kid! It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating his 10th birthday in Disneyland. Don't blink Jenny!
Amy said…
I really can't believe you have a teenager.. He is a great kid and you are a great mom.. I enjoyed reading what you wrote about him.
Mindi said…
Happy Birthday Douglas! You have a special fire in you I hope to cultuvate in my own kids. I am so glad we got to hang out a bit together in scouts. I really do think you're awesome.
Mindi
Aimee said…
I feel lucky that my son hangs out with great friends like Douglas. Doug is also fun to tease. Lately, when he comes to get Tyler for school I'll say, "I love you, Tyler. I love you, Douglas." They both walk away rolling their eyes. Doug is an amazing athlete! He is also so smart and just a good boy. Happy Birthday!!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...