Skip to main content

Stories to Tell

I believe that all of us have decorations with stories to tell. As I pulled some of my favorites out today so many wonderful memories flooded my mind. My mom had one of these Avon Pomanders when we were kids. My grandma sold Avon so we had many of their collectables. It smelled so good and we loved getting it out every year. I don't know exactly how it took place but several years ago my brother, Dallas, went on a hunt to get all of us one of these. I know he ended up getting at least one of them from the DI. They are tattered and old and worn but still have the slightest scent from our childhood memories. I couldn't love it more. This is the plastic canvas sled my grandma made for me at least 15 years ago. She is too old to see well enough and her hands are too sore so she will never make another one. Simply priceless.
A card that my aunt Dena painted for me the year I was married. I cherish this. She had 2 boys of her own so I was like her little girl.
I mentioned to my dad how much I loved a nativity set I saw at Sam's club. How touched I was when I came home from errands one day to find one sitting on my counter. It has a new place this year on my piano.

There are so many others I didn't take pictures of....the candy jar lid my friend Kim painted for me, the Christmas apron made by my mom, the ornaments from my boys school years, the white ceramic figure of Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus we received as a wedding gift, the snowman picks that came in a plant my mom gave me when Douglas was born, the Home Interior figures and votive cups that remind me of when I sold Home Interiors to put Russell through flight school(I bet you didn't see that one coming:)), the advent box on my counter that my boys love to open each morning to find their little prizes, and many more. What stories do your decorations tell?


Comments

Love your thoughts. I was going to do an African tree this year but while getting out the decorations started remembering, as you said, all the precious memories associated with the ornaments and couldn't leave them off the tree. They are so much a part of your Christmas celebration.
wylie said…
Casey has a Santa Claus ornament that we love from his LDS mission in Florida/Alabama. He made it out of a starfish. The body and 4 legs are painted red, the remaining leg is painted as Santa's head. It is really quaint and kind of goofy at the same time.
M.E. said…
I love the memories associated with Christmas ornaments! My Mom has some "Gingerbread cookies" ornaments from Avon. I love going over to smell them. They smell as good as they did thirty years ago, and it brings back my childhood in an instant. Your story has encouraged me to try and find some for my own tree!
Meredith said…
We have a tree that is decorated only with things that someone in our family has made. There are crocheted snowflakes that I made for our first Christmas and there are sets of hand sewn ornaments from two of my sister-in-laws. Every year the girls make a few ornaments to add to it, and now it is covered!
Sarah said…
What great Christmas memories. I'm impressed, I just put my fall things away yesterday and have a tree with just lights so far!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...