Skip to main content

My Really Weird Hobby & Why I don't need Walmart!



Earlier this week I had a really amazing time shopping.  I carefully wrote out my list, checked it twice, making sure I wasn't naughty but nice, and headed to the grocery store!  I know the last thing most of you want to do is go grocery shopping but for me, this is sometimes one of the most exciting things I can do.  I am really bummed that our mail now comes after 5:00 p.m.  I used to gather my mail at lunchtime on Tuesday afternoons and sit and mull over the grocery ads as I ate my chicken salad crackers and savored my Diet Pepsi.  I would have the entire afternoon to ponder the things that I needed to get and even had time to run to Reams if there was something exciting.  Their ad runs from Tuesday to Monday while the other's run from Wednesday to Tuesday.  I have had to adjust a little since the mail comes so late but luckily my sister still gets her's early and she is good to call if something catches her eye.  

After surveying the ad, I look through my "coupon caddy" for the coupons I know I have saved up.  Then I hit the computer to look for the ones I have grown accustomed to getting online. Reams and Maceys won't take computer printed coupons but Albertsons is great about it:).

You may have noticed my Deals I Love This Week column from time to time on my blog.  I thought I would update that this week but I just had to share!  I would like to call this week Toiletry Week.  My grocery budget includes my toiletries, not what I want to spend my money on but still important.  I got Sure deodorant at Smith's for $1.  You will NEVER see that at Walmart.  I got the hard plastic take-along Huggies Wipes for $1, again, not at Walmart. Quilted Northern is $4.99 at Albertsons this week as well as Bounty paper towels, still cheaper than that W store.  And, I also got my Colgate Sparkling White Mint Zing for $1. Why suffer the hassles of Walmart when I can warehouse these items(buy extra since they are cheap) from a store that offers a much more enjoyable experience?

As far as my food items go,  here are some of the amazing deals I got:

1.Betty Crocker Bagged Cookie Mixes on sale for $1.00.  I found a coupon online that made them .25!! Go ahead and try to make a batch of homemade for that price!

2.  Cherrios for $2.00

3.  Brownie Mixes $1.00

4.  Canned Frosting $1.00, I had coupons for .50 off.

5.  GoGurts $1.50

6.  Progresso Chicken Broth  $1.50.  I got it for .50 with my $1.00 off coupon

7.  Corn Chex  Buy 3 @$7.00 and get 4 free 2 liter of Coke Products

I had coupons for almost everything I bought and bought the quantity that I had coupons for. At Albertsons I paid $58.92 and saved $98.77.  That is a 60% savings.  At Smith's I paid $39.89 and saved $34.01 for a 47% savings.   I really can't imagine why anyone would shop at Walmart when you could get these kind of deals!

I don't have all of my Christmas shopping done nor have I wrapped one gift but the pantry was stocked in the kitchen with care and my food storage shelves are anything but bare!  What a great feeling!

Comments

Meredith said…
You are amazing! I wish I had your tenacity. I did pull off a 40% savings at Albertsons one time, but I'm afraid I haven't been back to coupon clipping since.
Sarah said…
I need to know about the bagged cookies. I just cooked up the last of mine. (See my recent post on that.) They are such a time saver.
Mindi said…
Teach me. I hate Walmart but have accepted it as a necessary evil. I even ask my boys if they want to go to Harmons or Albertsons as a special treat when we only need a few things. Teach me!
wylie said…
You are such a master shopper! Great savings this week--I'm impressed. Thank you for teaching me these past few months, you are very patient. And as you always say, the best part is telling how much you saved.
brees said…
We seriously should do this as an enrichment night, what do you think??
Kimberly said…
Your weird hobby = my good fortune!
Thanks for saving me money all these years.
Amy said…
I am so glad to hear I am not the only one to get excited about my grocery deals.. I stopped shopping at Walmart about a year ago because I absolutely hate the crazy store. I love going places where people want to help me and if you shop the ad you get better deals anyway. Thanks for sharing your great buys.
Mills Family said…
I love this post Jenny! I used to call Jeff from the parking lot because I was so excited with how much money I had just saved. He loved the idea of me saving that much money, but not so much the phone call every time. I have been a slacker the last few months and haven't done much! You inspired me to start again.
LaTour said…
You are so good! I need you to teach me...that is amazing. Ok you need to do another meal planning for Relief Society so I can learn more. How cool!
Habs said…
Jenny, thanks for making a comment on my blog! I have been secretly reading yours for months. I can not believe how much you were able to save. That is so amazing. I need to learn!

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...