Last night I got the really insane urge to make a great batch of homemade cookies. I would impress my family and show my kids what REAL cookies were. I asked Russell to get a can of shortening out of the basement while I got the other ingredients gathered. I creamed my butter and sugar, doubled checked the other ingredients and made a really great batch of dough. I got the first pan of cookies in the oven and started putting away the flour, the salt, the unopened can of shortening! Wait a minute....if the can was unopened, I forgot to put it in. I couldn't believe it. I told Russell I was just continuing my bad cookie streak. He started using his business training on me. "You know why the cookies didn't turn out don't you?" "Because I said I was a bad cookie maker, I know! I decided I was going to fail before I even started!" You see, Russell trains people at work to be successful and he is good at his job. The kids and I can't get away with anything! It used to be a little aggravating but I find a lot of wisdom in what he says. I have learned that he is one smart cookie, no pun intended:).
Determined to prove that I am not a failure I set out to fix the cookies. This is the first tray without the shortening.
I added the shortening and cooked another tray. Not much different!
A little flat..no, a lot flat. In fact, the only height they had was the chocolate chips. I added some flour to what I thought would be the right consistency. It was all coming back to me. I put another tray in and forgot about them. They looked better but were burned.
After a lot of trial and error and way too much time I finally pulled of a good tray of cookies. I was elated!
I know you are thinking I am pretty lame right about now. How hard is it to make a great batch of homemade cookies? Very difficult, apparently! What was supposed to be a fun batch of homemade cookies turned into and all night project. I may just stick with the bags!
Comments