Skip to main content

Life After Twilight

I never really liked to read, especially the books my teachers wanted me to when I was in school. I just didn't have time for it. I could think of a million other things I would rather be doing. I did find time to sneak in a V.C. Andrews book every now and then. I loved them but I must admit they were not the best books for a teenage girl to be reading (sorry mom! Nothing bad, just kind of heavy subject matter). I also have to confess that I did fake a few book reports back in the day (don't even think about it, Douglas!). You know, read the beginning, read the end and try to fake your way through the middle. The only times I really was grounded was when I had 2 weeks left in the term and no reading pages done. That just gives you a little history on my relationship with books.

Even in my adulthood I haven't really picked up the hobby. I go through spurts. The first books I remember reading after I was married were the Work and the Glory series. I LOVED those. There were 4-5 of them out before I started, which was nice, and then I waited eagerly for Halloween when each book would come out. I would sit on my stairs and wait for the trick-or-treaters, hoping none would come and interrupt my reading. Since I enjoyed those so much I read The Kingdom and the Crown series. Only three books in that one but also good. Next was The Children of the Promise series (are you seeing a pattern here? Factional books by LDS authors). I decided to pick up the Harry Potter books and read them once Douglas was old enough to. Isn't that what good moms do? Read books before their kids to make sure the content is appropriate? (Okay, great idea when I started but I am over that now!) I fully expected to not get into them but REALLY enjoyed those. I even awaited the last few books in that series. I knew, after book 7, I would never have anything to read again, EVER, until...Twilight. I am not one to follow the crowd. I was sure they had evil things in them and shouldn't be touched. After hearing from more than one person how great they were I picked them up and never turned back. That is my problem. I like series. Once I get into a book I want it to go on and on forever. I could read about Bella and Edward's everyday life everyday of my life. Do they have a blog? You get my point. Once I finished that series I knew there would never be another book I would love again.

For some reason I have had the craving to read lately. I have mastered the art of walking on the treadmill and reading the Ensign at the same time. A book works just as well as long as it is not too bulky. So, I picked up a book I had laying around my house, Bound on Earth which was written by one of my best childhood friends. It was just what I needed to satisfy my craving and get me some extra minutes on the treadmill. I was at the library last week and saw a display of books that caught my attention. The Lucky One was written by the same guy that wrote The Notebook. I really liked that movie so I thought maybe I would like this book. It was great, and once again, some quality treadmill time. I scavenged my kids rooms this morning only to find Holes. That will last me a few days but I am afraid I have started something that I won't be able to stop anytime soon.

Russell and I are leaving for Puerto Vallarta in 2 weeks and I am SO looking forward to laying on my beach chair, sipping a pina colada, my nose in a can't-put-down kind of book. I have saved The Host for this special occasion but I am afraid I will tear through that in no time. I need a back up plan. I like a fun, romantic, not too suspenseful, not too intellectual read. I liked Da Vinci Code but Angels and Demons was a little too creepy for me. Any suggestions? Russell loved the latter two books and really likes a good intense read. What about for him?

Comments

Meredith said…
I am not a huge fantasy fan, but I have to admit I took the first two Fablehaven books to Hawaii and was hooked in-spite of myself. I have them, if you want to borrow them for your trip.
Patti said…
I know what you mean re: Bella and Edward, so I jumped into The Host to fill the void. Beware that it's a little difficult to love right from the start. It took me about 40 or more pages to get into non-stop page turning action. We've (my daughter, Karen and I) recently raided the library and found some light fun reading ("How to Ditch Your Fairy" or "Once Upon A Marigold") that's probably more age appropriate for teenagers, but isn't that okay now and then? Next month's bookclub book is Princess Bride. It was fun to see the differences between the book and movie. Sorry, can't help Russell!
Patti said…
On second thought, here's a possibility for Russell. My sister's son-in-law, Jed, has some suggestions. He enjoyed The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver and also The Twelfth Card by the same author (it's a series). He gave 4 or 5 stars to both books. It's a series of a criminologist Lincoln Rhyme. Another book Jed enjoyed was Spies, Lies and a Pair of Ties, by Sheralyn Pratt about a private investigator in L.A. who meets up with LDS missionaries. Good luck!
Terry said…
Hi Jenny...I hope you don't mind a comment from me, I found your blog through Kim's...you know how that goes?

I highly recommend the Inkheart series..Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath. I have em if you want if you want to borrow them.

I am just like you! I read all 3 Twilight books over the long New Years Weekend. I am bad. Unfortunately I tend to ignore everything else when I get my nose in a book. It's so hard to stop!

Have fun on your trip!!

Terry
M.E. said…
Jenny,
Walk on over! We have some books that I think you and Russ will enjoy. I highly recommend Jane Austin. You start with one book, and you will want to read the rest. Pride and Prejudice and Emma are my favorites. Cory has uite a few books that I thnk Russ will enjoy.
michele84084 said…
Have you read her unfinished novel from Edward's point of view? I have it if you want it! It's interesting to read the first story (well part of it) from his perspective. Holler if you want me to e-mail it to you.
Aimee said…
I enjoyed Twilight, until the last book. It was so dumb that I almost stopped in the middle of the book.

Send Russell over... we have some Grisham's and some other Dan Brown books that Matt bought. I like the C.S. Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia. We own those, if you want any. I highly recommend reading the Book Club book of the month. The Princess Bride is this month's. Book Club has opened my eyes to a whole new variety of books. I also liked Inkheart and Fablehaven.
wylie said…
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while before I typed my comment (especially since we both talked about books at BB practice). Here are my suggestions that I think may match the reading mood you seem to be in.

For the side of you that likes series of historical religious fiction (these are Jewish with a Christian base) --
Vienna Prelude (The Zion Covenant series) by Bodie Thoene
The Gates of Zion (The Zion Chronicles) by Bodie Thoene

For the side of you that likes fast moving books, mild adventure --
Airborn by Kenneth Oppel

For the side of you that likes lighter mystery with an undercurrent of pre-dating attraction --
I Heard That Song Before by Mary Higgins Clark

Two others to consider --
Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...