Skip to main content

Dinnertime Dilemma

It is getting to be that time of day where I start asking myself, "What in the world am I going to make for dinner?" This is, in my opinion, one of the naggiest parts of being a homemaker. I don't really enjoy my obligation to prepare something rather inexpensive, with a reasonable amount of calories and tasty! If any of you are in the same boat as me, here is an idea that may solve that dinner dilemma for at least one night! It has been my favorite since I was a kid!
PORK CHOPS AND RICE
Brown pork chops in as much butter as your diet will allow. I usually do about 2 Tablespoons. That only gives us each an extra 50 fat calories. You want to get that brown sludge in the bottom of the pan that comes from frying them up (mmm....brown sludge). While your pork chops are frying, slice one onion, tomato and green pepper into rings. Once your pork is browned, spread the veggies over the pork. Pour in enough dry rice for your family (I usually do 2 1/2 cups dry). Pour enough water over that to properly cook the rice. I do twice as much water as rice. Some brands may be a little different. Just look on the bag. Salt and pepper your pan of ingredients, top with a lid and turn down to simmer for about 30 minutes. As soon as the rice is done, walla! You have a one pan meal that is so delicious. Just a side note, I have done this with Minute Rice before and it just doesn't have time to take on the flavors of the sludge and the veggies. Use regular rice!

I promise you will love how easy and yummy this is. I am hungry just thinking about it. What is your favorite easy recipe, one that can be pulled off in a pinch, one that doesn't require marjoram or something like that! This can be kind of like that chain letter only you don't have to pass it on to 25 of your closest friends! You just get to share with me and anyone else interested in reading this post. I promise I will try your ideas and I may even give you an honorable mention in a forthcoming post:).

Comments

Patti said…
Chicken Enchiladas- The super easy way is to buy precooked chicken strips (Tysons) and grate some mozzarella cheese (or buy pre-grated). Open a can of green enchilada sauce. Pour about 1/2 cup sauce into the pan to keep the tortillas from sticking. On a flour tortilla, place a few chicken strips and some cheese, roll it up seam-side down in the pan, pour the rest of the sauce on top, cover with more cheese. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, uncover, bake 5 more minutes. Serve with rice and refried beans. It doesn't get any easier than that!
wylie said…
That does sound really good. I've got to think a bit on a recipe I make fast (besides breakfast for dinner option). I'll post again later when I think of one.
Mills Family said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mills Family said…
I just tried a new recipe! It was so fast and easy. I was a little skeptical at first, but my family loved it!
I cut up 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts then browned them in my electric fry pan. After they were brown, I added the sauce, two cans of tomato soup and two cans of diet coke mixed together. Then, I covered it and let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes. I served it on rice and the sauce didn't taste like tomato soup or diet coke. The whole family loved it.
Meredith said…
That sounds good. I'm going to have to try that one. I just made one of my favorite easy ones last night - Tortellini Soup. Dice up some onion, celery, and carrots in a food processor and simmer in enough chicken broth to make the number of servings you need. I think I did eight cups broth, 1/2 a small onion, 1 stalk of celery, and a handful of baby carrots. Add a bay leaf and a small bag of frozen tortellini. When the tortellini is cooked serve it up! My kids love it, and the tortellini is hearty enough to fill them up even though the broth is fairly light.
wylie said…
I've been thinking about this and thinking and thinking . . . and realized that I am not good at last minute meals, I can do quick, but if push comes to shove I rely on my freezer back ups of frozen burritos, frozen chicken nuggets, and frozen pizza. Besides that I'd rather have put it in the crockpot first thing in the morning and having it done and out of the way OR have a good 45 minutes to 1 hour to make a really good tasting dinner without interruption--like that ever happens.

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...