Skip to main content

This is Supposed to Be Fun

Jr. Jazz is supposed to be fun.  It is for the boys.  Everyone should get to play and everyone should feel good when the game is over.  Unless, you play this guy's team!
defusing-angry-cust.jpg
I would like to say he was this nicely dressed but he wasn't.  I would like to say he was even maybe a nice guy but he wasn't.  I would like to say I didn't let him get to me but he did!

I should have known when the whole team was huddled on the bleachers drawing out plays before our team was even all there.  The little pre-game team jog around the court should have been a good indicator of what was to come.  They were doing ladders and some really intimidating looking warm up-shot things.  We were just there to have a good time, well, mostly!

The minute the game started he was yelling, "Get your hands up" "where's your man?" and my personal favorite, "stay on #2, don't let him shoot"!  He was loud, he was obnoxious and he was really bugging me!  He was yelling at the boys, intimidating the refs and making a total fool of himself.  It is amazing how one rowdy and very inappropriate guy can affect an entire gym full of people.  It got me feeling like this:
Angry Smiley Icon
We have a team full of boys that I just love.  They didn't make the team because they were the tallest, or the fastest, or the best.  They made the team because they were a group of friends that wanted to play basketball together.
(a few don't play but most of them are still around)

Some of them are now tall, some of them are fast and ALL of them do their best each week. This week was no exception.  The game was close, there were some great plays by all of the boys and our coach was amazing!  I don't know how he did it.  I was thinking and muttering some not so nice things.  Maybe he was under his breath too but you would have never known it!  One side of the court, a jerk, the other side, a great example to our boys and me.  Matt Newton has taken this little team of friends and helped each one of these boys become a better basketball player and a better person!  To me that is what Jr. Jazz is all about.  I left that game very angry inside but as I have had time to process it, I am so proud of the way our boys and coach responded.  And, good won in the end 50-47!  Bad earned a technical foul for dropping the "queen mother of all dirty words" in the last .2 seconds of the game, the perfect ending to quite a nail biter.

Comments

brees said…
Way to hold your cool, isn't it annoying when the poor kids are just there to have fun? Last Saturday at the girls Jr. Jazz 2 of the coaches got into a fight, DUH???? Aren't we supposed to be setting an example to the kids?

Well, I am glad that the boys still had fun.....
wylie said…
I'm saying the following tongue-in-cheek . . . some times you just wanna give some adults a good spanking don't you! It was nice to read the "happy ending" that the good guys won anyway.
Aimee said…
You aren't kidding!! I was literally shaking and my tummy was doing somersaults during that game. At one point, when the mean coach was yelling, I turned to Dana and said, "I don't think the spirit is here anymore."

Thanks for the nice comments about Matt. He sure loves those boys.

Popular posts from this blog

On Top of the World

I have never been a runner. I have grown up around runners. My dad has run 7 or 8 marathons. My mom has run 2. My husband ran one 7 years ago. I have always cheered from the sidelines and wondered why in the world anyone would EVER do something like that. It is just plain ridiculous. In my quest to get rid of the after math of 2 pregnancies in a years time I decided to step my workouts up a bit. I am a really good walker. I would much rather walk 4 miles than run 1 but I needed to burn more calories. So, running it was. I decided if I mostly walked with some intermittent running that would help. I started out running the downhill portions of my 2 mile loop. Pretty soon I would walk my 2 miles, put Mason down for a nap and run a few loops in the park. About a month ago, Russell challenged me to run the full 2 miles. He pushed the baby stroller while we ran. I was not very conversational , but I did it! I was so proud of myself. I incorporated that 2 mile run into my wor...

Old Enough For the Temple!

Mason and I have been looking forward to going to the temple for a long time.  It is one of my favorite places and there is nothing better than going with your kids.  Mason was ordained a Deacon on January 5th and received his temple recommend  so he could do baptisms and confirmations. We checked Mason out of school a little early on January 9th and went before lunch. We wanted to be together as a family so we invited Douglas and Daisha, Amelia and Grandma Orchard.  That made it special.  It was snowing when we came out so Grandma insisted on staying under the awning.  She didn't even know she was photo bombing! 😂 And to make it even more special, we took family names.  A temple sealer told me to think about families and bringing families to the temple.  I had never thought of that.  I always just grabbed whatever names were next in my card file but we purposefully put together 2 different families to baptize that da...

Arizona

Our love of baseball has taken us on some of our coolest family vacations.  Last week, Douglas' team played in the Triple Crown Spring Training tournament.  We decided to cash in our sky miles so all of us could go cheer him on.  A toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was a little more enticing than enduring a 12 hour roadtrip, each way.  Douglas wasn't too sad that he missed the team travel in a 16 passenger van.  Can you imagine it?  8 teenage boys...together...lauging....texting...stinking.  No thanks!  His coaches are saints! As seems to always be the case, travel day was hectic.  Watching our family go through airport security must be somewhat entertaining.  There are the Ipods, the belts, the shoes, the stroller, the laptop, the portable DVD player, the camera, the sippy cup, the blanket....followed by the howls of a little boy who got his fingers pinched when the stroller collapsed on him as we tried to contain him to...